Model Cars Magazine Forum

Very simple question for anyone in the know...

I've finally gotten to the point where I'm printing parts pretty consistently from files I download from the internet... Here's my question.... I successfully scanned a few parts with Polycam.in the photo taking scan mode.  I new print these. What do I have to do, what's the next step? I foolishly tried importing the scans in my Lychee slicer... WRONG!... I know there's another step.. What do I need to do before I can import these into Lychee??? What am I missing? Thank you in advance. 

AAE9000F-CAD0-489F-BF50-42969C91A4CD_1_105_c.jpeg

Seems to me that you need to export the scanned file in a compatible format that is accepted by the lychee slicer. I draw solid models in Freecad which uses its own file extension (.FCStd), before I can import the file in my Photon slicer, I have to convert the file into an .stl file, which can then be imported into the slicer. Not familiar with a Polycam  scanner or the Lychee slicing software, but it sure sounds like a file compatibility problem. 

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, KMcc said:

Seems to me that you need to export the scanned file in a compatible format that is accepted by the lychee slicer. I draw solid models in Freecad which uses its own file extension (.FCStd), before I can import the file in my Photon slicer, I have to convert the file into an .stl file, which can then be imported into the slicer. Not familiar with a Polycam  scanner or the Lychee slicing software, but it sure sounds like a file compatibility problem. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. You are correct. On second thought maybe getting id touch with Polycam would be more prudent. That's where I should start. Thanks again.👍

I think I may have misunderstood what you were asking. In Freecad, when I'm ready for printing, up in the top left hand corner, I click on 'file' and when the options cascade down, I click on 'export', and what cascades down is a plethora of options showing file extensions to convert your present screen file to. I always click on '.stl' because that is what my photon slicer uses. Again, I'm not familiar with Polycam, but there should be a similar way to convert that file inside the software. Once again, I hope this helps.