Model Cars Magazine Forum

1 problem & 1 question & 1 compliment

hi,

my 1 problem is that i painted my body and my hood saprately.

the hood is noticably darker.

is there an easy fix for this as i love my paint jobs.

my question is

when working on smaller parts and the under side of the car do i still need the laquer?

will paint smudge when i handle the parts to glue them in their final resting places?

also the idea of putting small amounts of glue on the work area and using a tooth pick to apply glue works better then i could have imagined.

cant remember who told me that but thanks!

After combatting this problem a lot especially on metallics,this is what I do.Paint the engine compartment and underhood area first and allow those to dry.Then simply tape the hood on from the underside, I also tape the engine compartment off from the underside to keep overspray from getting on the engine compartment and the underside of the hood. Then as soon as i'm done painting,I pull the tape off from the engine compartment and push the hood up slightly (leaving it taped) to keep the hood from drying to the fenders.Sometimes I will take the hood completely off if I'm feeling pretty steady.Hope this helps you out.

It sounds like you used a metallic color, or perhaps a candy color? If so, it's best, in my experience, to paint the hood at the same time, with the same batch of paint. Not to pick an argument here, but this is where old paint bottles, or old dead rattle cans come in so very handy.

I mount separate panels, such as a hood, or valance panels, onto the lids of either old paint bottles, or old spray cans (keep the plastic cap for them, snap them back on first), by using a sticky tape loop (a bit of masking tape, rolled into a loop with the sticky side out). Put the sticky tape loop onto the top of whatever you want to use to hold the part, and spread it out as flat as you can, then press the part to be painted onto that. Simply hold that old paint bottle or rattle can in one hand, and spray the parts with the same paint at the same time. With metallics or candies, bear in mind that airbrushing works best here, as you can control the paint much as if you were in 1/25 scale yourself, using a miniature shop spray gun. This in important with metallics, in order to get the metallic chip to lay in the paint on the hood the same is it is on the body. With candy colors, as they are translucent (they filter light that reaches the gold or silver base, then that reflects back through the transparent color), and the thicker the coat of paint, the darker the candy color will be. So, care is really needed there.

Art

I've painted few candies in my whole modeling life, but one thing I do know is that one should paint candies in a criss-cross pattern to ensure full coverage-----as well as minimizing "tiger stripes".

It also helps to count the number of strokes you're doing to get the same coverage on all parts.

If you're painting metallics, a good idea is to swill the airbrush jar or can to make sure the metallic flakes stay suspended in the paint and not settle to the bottom of the jar or can.

If you don't do this, the first thing that will come out of your airbrush or can is mostly flakes which can lend itself to the mismatched panels.

Hope this helps!