Model Cars Magazine Forum

Willys “gasser” front cap question

I have been looking at dozens, if not hundreds, of vintage photos of Willys gassers and drag cars.  It seems the great majority have a lift-off front cap or a flip nose for engine access.  Would all of them be fiberglass in the 1960s-early ‘70s?  I would think retaining the original sheet metal, i.e. the hood, fenders, grill surround and grill, would be a bit heavy for either configuration.  How would the different body pieces be held together to come off or tilt as one?

Adding to the confusion is fact they are seen with solid noses (suggesting fiberglass w/ no grill) or with grills, hood trim and headlights.

I want to build a “stock” gasser (non-fiberglass cap) and know that it is period-accurate for a lift-off or flip nose front.

Thanks for any guidance.

The cars in the upper classes had to have weight trimmed wherever possible, so those would have fiberglass front ends, doors, even trunk lids.  Removing as much weight as possible, if some had to be put back in the builder could then add ballast and put the weight where it worked to their advantage (behind the rear wheels).

Lower class cars were often built by teams or owners with less funding, so sometimes those would be all steel.  Even then, a lot of them were lightened with weight being added back via ballast.

Edited by Mark
D--- spell check
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

As much bracing and inner panels as possible were trimmed away. Then a framework of tubing was made to support the sheet metal and tie it together.  Then the whole unit was attached with hinges, quick fasteners, or whatever was available. at least that is what I've read in old magazines.

The Revell 1963 Stone, Woods, & Cook Willys kit (the opening-doors one) is a replica of that car in its early form, and it had a steel front end and hood (with a customized grille).  The car later had a fiberglass front end installed to replace the steel parts.  The kit has the latch detail.