Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

La Ferrari

dougwintz

WIP for first build of 2024. Used after-market carbon fiber and photo etch. Looking forward, the biggest challenge for this Tamiya kit is body panels fitting together with minimal gap. At least, that's the case for me. Taking a long time to complete this, next up will be test fitting the body panels. Happy 2024 everybody. 

IMG_6628.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

• Like 6

I love it! I'll be building that kit in the future, first I'll see what you do with it! Looks like you've got a ton done already and it looks fantastic! These newer Tamiya kits are such a pleasure to build!

15 hours ago, dougwintz said:

Now, test fitting the body panels. Color is Tamiya TS 16. Sprayed and glossed over the yellow body as it came in the kit. Used after market mesh for various vents and ports. 

B8AAD94D-17B7-4943-8BD9-08DC5F81BAF9.jpeg

D9A55A90-345D-40B7-9107-208C7E278161.jpeg

A5402898-807D-4AB6-BFE3-AF9A395ACDAF.jpeg

B7363B69-D5C2-4D1D-8412-6B0BB3A9BAF0.jpeg

BF9AB82C-7B72-4D8E-B9DB-3638414E4DA4.jpeg

C2AB71C1-5F2E-4BE8-9F86-E4E45B81652F.jpeg

That is beautiful 

This is a difficult kit. A lot of parts! You have done a fantastic job fitting these body panels. You have the doors to the roof fitting great. Was that a challenge? Every car I have seen completed has the doors not fitting to the roof. There are sooo many parts to the body and you have done a brilliant job of fitting them. Bravo! I say this as I have had this kit for years and still have not touched it. I have built several mfh kits and not this tamiya kit. Man your car looks super. Great job!

9 hours ago, Brudda said:

This is a difficult kit. A lot of parts! You have done a fantastic job fitting these body panels. You have the doors to the roof fitting great. Was that a challenge? Every car I have seen completed has the doors not fitting to the roof. There are sooo many parts to the body and you have done a brilliant job of fitting them. Bravo! I say this as I have had this kit for years and still have not touched it. I have built several mfh kits and not this tamiya kit. Man your car looks super. Great job!

Thanks. I agree. Very challenging. The doors came together ok, although I had to read the instructions about 10 times until I got it right. The bigger issue for me were the rest of the body panels. I scraped some plastic from underside of the engine cover - because it seemed to be hitting the rear wheel wells and causing a big gap. Then there is a side body panel that covers some of the radiators - and I adjusted them so they closed the gap with engine cover. I'm not done yet, so this could still go south on me. But so far so good. 

• Like 1

I had to make a decision on the vents that sit alongside the back engine cover. The parts in the Tamiya kit are solid plastic. The parts in the Hobby Design detail kit are mesh. I took a picture of both, and decided to go with the mesh. I'm always divided on how useful some of the photoetch kits are - I seem to only use about 50% of them. 

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dougwintz said:

....and once again, the photos show I need to do some clean up on the paint!

All my models look worse in photos this large, but look fine on the table, I'm sure your LaFerrari looks fantastic on your table!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dougwintz said:

....and once again, the photos show I need to do some clean up on the paint!

I dust my builds with a brush before taking photos. They look perfect to my eye. THen I look at the pics and there's dust and dog hair everywhere! Frustrating!

I think yours is turning out great. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very nice! Not an easy kit even though it’s a tamiya kit. Great job! Color is perfect, fit is great! If you guys have this kit, you know what I’m talking about. I have opened the box, took a deep breath….. looked and put the lid back on. Painting alone is a project. Great job on a complex build.