Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nice work! I just picked one up, plans are to do a wheel-lift type of wrecker out of it. I have had Duplicolor paint issues as of late too. I have been picking up cans of Mopar touch up paints on eBay, with much better results.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:14 AM, bobss396 said:

Nice work! I just picked one up, plans are to do a wheel-lift type of wrecker out of it. I have had Duplicolor paint issues as of late too. I have been picking up cans of Mopar touch up paints on eBay, with much better results.

Thanks! Do you have a link for the mopar paints? Is it spray paint?

On 2/14/2024 at 9:34 PM, slusher said:

Paint looks great and i may use it in the future to build a replica of my lat nephew’s truck..

Thanks Carl! I got just the color shade I wanted. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've posted an update. Long story short, I laid the clear on too thick during my initial paint session so I had to strip and repaint. I only had enough clear left to do the hood and tailgate. Once I get more, I will finish clearing the rest of the body. This picture really shows the difference between the Tamiya Dull Red uncleared and cleared. image.thumb.jpeg.36c97c36ade9ab797702aed838a7e7a4.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 4:24 PM, DaveB said:

Awesome work on this!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, bobss396 said:

The TS-33 Dull Red is great. I just used some on an AWB Chevy II and cleared it with a Hobby Lobby matte clear. I bet that Tamiya TS-65 clear pearl would look great over it.

I originally purchased TS-33 to do a red interior on a future OBS project. I ended up buying more because of how versatile it is, especially depending on what clear you use.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, av405 said:

Thank you!

I originally purchased TS-33 to do a red interior on a future OBS project. I ended up buying more because of how versatile it is, especially depending on what clear you use.

Tamiya had a red primer I was considering. I made up a couple of samples and eyeballed them before opting for the Dull Red. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here she is all wet sanded and polished. I wet sanded with 4000, 6000, 8000, 10000, and 12000 grit pads. I then buffed it out with Meguiars Scratch X, Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish. I'm still working on my polishing skills, but I figured the truck finish looks shiny but not perfect, just like on a real truck. I still have some detail painting to do on the cab, but the bed is just about done. 

image.thumb.jpeg.962231de652354d6d24bfb5709cf24b8.jpeg

Unfortunately, the rear bumper had a small chip on the otherwise great chrome finish. Not huge by any means, but enough to bother me:

IMG_0031.thumb.JPEG.66036b41df6a78ef8c621b0c8d7fb7a6.JPEG

I decided this would be a great time to use this Gofer Racing bumper sticker decal set that I have:

IMG_5477.thumb.JPG.2f34d9f10773044406fae04b018c4dda.JPG

I went with something appropriate for the 90's and that still fits my overall theme:

image.thumb.jpeg.65b39a7132341eece40506113cd4ea28.jpeg

Edited by av405
  • Like 1

I like it a lot. I'm still not sure what I'm doing with mine. I have a later wrecker bed I got on eBay, but the quality is not there. I could go ramp truck with it. The paint on yours looks amazing.

13 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I like it a lot. I'm still not sure what I'm doing with mine. I have a later wrecker bed I got on eBay, but the quality is not there. I could go ramp truck with it. The paint on yours looks amazing.

Thanks! Ramp truck sounds good. I don't think I've seen someone make a model of one out of this particular truck.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Pierre_tec said:

Love the finish, look very close to oem. A that rear bumper look so nice, that now I will not finish mine with out some bumper stickers! 

Thanks!  It's very common to see these old trucks with some kind of bumper and/or rear window sticker.