Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 62 Buick Electra 225

Yeah Nah

23 minutes ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice, I had a 64 Electra 225 four door back in the day a real land yacht!!

Thanks Larry. Not a lot of these found their way to Australia, but back in the 70s a friend's dad had a four door of about that vintage you mention. If these things were big to Americans, they were absolute monsters to us Aussies.

22 hours ago, Hoffman said:

Gary, the interior is great! The sheen on the upholstery looks very convincing. Nice and smooth too. Did you airbrush it? The foil work on the seats and other interior parts is very clean and the detail painting on the dash, console and so forth looks very good. Looks like you flocked the carpet too? Very nice. 😃

Thanks Tim. Yes, airbrush on most things. I resisted buying one for years but there's only so much you can do with rattle-can enamels and paint brushing. BTW, same brown on seats, dash and convertible boot but each oversprayed with various matt and gloss clears to get different finishes. 

Because of poor availability, high cost and 'corrosion' issues,  I stopped using BMF a while back and now get by with kitchen foil (glued on with Elmer's Clear) and Molotow type chrome pen.

I didn't have a suitable coloured flock for the carpet so I used fine sieved sand which I hand painted after drying. At best it's ok, but don't look too close!    

Edited by Yeah Nah
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:28 AM, Zippi said:

Super sharp looking 62 Buick Electra 225.  Is that a nailhead in the business end?  

That it is. It can build into a nice-looking engine with some detailing and a little patience.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

I have a '62 coupe from the 1999-ish SSP issue that I need to finish. I did mine in Desert Sand (I'm guessing you were aiming for Bamboo Cream) with a red interior. Your pick of color for the saddle interior is a bit darker, but looks very nice. The buckets came in your choice of red, saddle or white with black trim. I've found Humbrol #9 tan is a really good match for GM's "saddle" upholstery.

Just as a note that I found out about, the console supplied in the kit isn't stock. The actual console would have been a short-length armrest that went about half-way up the seat-back, about the length of the seat cushions. The top, which was hinged, is about an inch longer than the base, with a rounded front. The real '62 I saw at a car show a few years back confirmed this. 

I was never sure about the Connie kit, but I have to say, it does work on this.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I have a '62 coupe from the 1999-ish SSP issue that I need to finish. I did mine in Desert Sand (I'm guessing you were aiming for Bamboo Cream) with a red interior. Your pick of color for the saddle interior is a bit darker, but looks very nice. The buckets came in your choice of red, saddle or black. I've found Humbrol #9 tan is a really good match for GM's "saddle" upholstery.

Just as a not that I found out about, the console supplied in the kit isn't stock. The actual console would have been a short-length armrest that went about half-way up the seat-back, about the length of the seat cushions. The top, which was hinged, is about an inch longer than the base, with a rounded front. The real '62 I saw at a car show a few years back confirmed this. 

I was never sure about the Connie kit, but I have to say, it does work on this.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie. Yes, Bamboo Cream was the intended colour, but my mixing was a bit off and it came out a bit too yellow. I was going to repaint, but thought this car is a bit of a custom job so I'll keep the paint as is.  Same deal with the centre console. I couldn't find any photos of a 62 Electra with a console like this but it came with the kit, looks pretty good so in it went.

• Like 1