Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Danger Ranger" AMT 77 Econoline Van

Just finished this one up for a tribute build and auction at Herk's Modelworks on Facebook. Herk passed away in December and a bunch of us in the group are doing builds to auction off on March 16th, sending the proceeds to his family. I'm quickly learning that AMT's kits are a hot mess anymore, at least a lot worse than I remember them being when I was younger, but I still had fun with it. Hopefully he would be proud of it.

Paint is from Tropical Glitz using their hot pink basecoat called "Miami Nightlife" and airbrush fade of violet candy around the lower 1/4. I designed and printed the TV, the bar cabinet, and the side pipes. LEDs from Evan Designs (two pink lights in the rear cabin and a warm white for TV backlight). Shag carpet courtesy of a hot pink kids coat from Goodwill, foam bed is covered in some hot pink zebra striped kid's coat material from Goodwill, and diamond stitched interior panels are made of craft foam. Gull wing side door, and some Slixx decals. Also made the pic of Herk with his ice cream truck build for the TV. Threw some magazines on the dash and cabinet, made a "fancy smoking pipe" from a bead set I found at Hobby Lobby, and added a Farrah Fawcett poster to the wall.

I think that's about all, but probably forgetting something. Hope you dig it. 😎🤙

20240225_131905.jpg

20240225_130504.jpg

20240225_132712.jpg

20240225_132145.jpg

20240225_132006.jpg

20240225_120634.jpg

20240225_112902.jpg

20240225_112910.jpg

HERK HEAVEN.jpg

• Like 6

Beautiful looking paint work and looks like when the Van Craze was in full swing. The "Shagan Wagon" interior is all well done. Ah Farrah Fawcett, who didn't have that picture tucked away somewhere.  

Thank you guys for all the compliments! It was a pretty fun build, aside from the typical AMT stuff I seem to find on every one of their models I build like an over abundance of flashing and mold marks, weird things like numbered parts in the instructions but no numbers on the actual sprues/trees, and things that don't quite make much sense like why is the steering wheel sitting ON the driver seat. All that stuff aside, I still enjoyed building it and screwing around with a bunch of new stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 7:44 PM, satterwhite78 said:

I'm hearing in my head " Chevy Van" by the Sammy Johns even though your is a Ford.

One of my favorite songs as my 1:1 is a Chevy 😁

20190508_134540.jpg

• Like 1