Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Dodge Trucks. Baja Brute and Off Road Camper

After inspecting the parts in the Warlock and the '78 Dodge D-100 Long Bed kits, it looks like almost all the parts needed to bring the Baja Brute kit are still in the tool. A few manor parts (light bar, some gas caps and other small parts) are not in the chrome tree or on the plastic sprues, but most of the rest is there. Of course, there are no 1/20 scale 4x4 steel wheels and tires, but that is an easy fix. It would be nice, also, to have the Triple Carb, Six Pack intake and Air Cleaner back but that is a small deal. I'd prefer to see the older grille restored, but a 77/78 Brute can be built just by using the parts from the Warlock & Long Bed kits.

I'd like to see the Baja Brute reboxed, as a new kit. Also, look at the Camper Shell in the Off Road Camper version shown in the directions. It would be really nice to see those parts return too! One of the Motorcycles from the kit has been released as a Pats Pack a while ago, so all the bits needed are out there.

I'll begin building a Modern '78 Baja Brute in a few days. I am that excited about these Dodge Pickup kits.

Here are the instructions, so you can see how few parts are actually different in the kits.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/922/mpc-baja-brute-dodge-adventurer

byMPCPhotocourtesyJwJvi_jpegvi-vi.jpg.4a78fe9c19892e6e813ebdb1bfb430ba.jpg

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/1-sort/mpc-dodge-off-road-/?view=roll#1

And a Bonus, the ThunderSTruck, a nifty kit on it's own.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1104/mpc-0442-thunderstruck-dodge-pickup

I really dig Part #76 the Grille Guard! I wish that would come back!!!

Steve G and Round2, Thanks again for all the work on these Dodge Truck kits.

And now, we wait ;) 

A lot of the Baja Brute is already there. It would be nice if earlier ‘72-‘76 dashes, hoods, tailgates and grilles were tooled up. I still wish they would have fixed the cab a bit though- where the grille and bumper mate up. A few tabs added on the inner fenders to hold the grille and bumper in place would really help. 

I would like to see Round 2 release a ‘78 Macho Wagon- 4x4 powertrain, Warlock wheels and tires, Sweptline bed (long or short, although a short bed Sweptline was never done by MPC back in the day), full decal set, and a new/more accurate roll bar.

They could offer it in a retro box that would look like the old Warlock, LRX, Firebird Blackbird and Volare Road Runner Super Pak boxes- a mix of factory promotional photos of the real vehicle and illustrations, on a white background. Those probably were my all time favorite boxes, as I saw them a lot when I was a kid. 

I wonder why MPC never did the Macho back in the day, it would have been a natural for that series. 

IMG_8093.jpeg

IMG_8094.jpeg

IMG_8095.jpeg

IMG_8096.jpeg

• Like 1

Well , I hope the Dodge Truck gets many more releases. I'll buy all of them. The Baja Brute project is moving slowly, but moving.

I need some decals. Does anybody have any suggestions?

23 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Well , I hope the Dodge Truck gets many more releases. I'll buy all of them. The Baja Brute project is moving slowly, but moving.

I need some decals. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Do you want the original issue decals? I have a set, but they are blemished (on the Sunoco & service logos). I was eventually going to scan them. I doubt mine are useable, but maybe they could be scanned. 

Which version were you going to build? You might be able to piece together something like the “Mexican 1000” version using old Cady decals (for the gumballs & some race contingencies), perhaps. 

The graphics look just generic enough that you might be able to put something together on your computer and print them on decal paper. 

I think eventually you might see Round 2 do a longbed 4x4, and when they do, they could very well reproduce elements of some of the early release original decals (Baja racer, service truck, etc.). 

IMG_8137.jpeg

Edited by CapSat 6

Bill, Thanks for sharing the decals. I am planning on trying to get close to the box art, but not exact. I've already located lettering decals to do the Baja Brute and Mexican 1000 markings.

So, it will be more of a Tribute Build than an exact replica. I plane to use the Fireball Resin's famous FMR-154B Ford F-250 Wheels and tires for the kit, and will have to see what else I use.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Bill, Thanks for sharing the decals. I am planning on trying to get close to the box art, but not exact. I've already located lettering decals to do the Baja Brute and Mexican 1000 markings.

So, it will be more of a Tribute Build than an exact replica. I plane to use the Fireball Resin's famous FMR-154B Ford F-250 Wheels and tires for the kit, and will have to see what else I use.

Nice! I’m also cobbling one of these together, but I’m building a service truck. I’m using the same Fireball wheels and tires on mine, too! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Nice! I’m also cobbling one of these together, but I’m building a service truck. I’m using the same Fireball wheels and tires on mine, too! 

Yeah, those Fireball Rims/Tires are just Awesome for this kind of build.