Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suicide or Normal Door Hinges?

I wrote a detailed article about opening and hinging doors in the November '08 issue of Model Cars Mag. I featured the "gooseneck" type hinges------the type where the door swings outside the body.

The guinea pig was a '55 Chevy Bel Air sedan which may be a future project to build and finish up.

It was pretty in depth and it's well worth the money to pick up a back issue! ;)

• 4 months later...

I am working a Flintstone custom body and have opened the hood on the lead sled. I'm looking to make it into a tilting hood that tils forward, but the hood will need to slide forward to open. I'd like to replicate the style you see on the "6" Series BMW's.

How would I accomplish this in scale? I know it will need rollers and tracks, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that in scale. Any ideas? :huh:

Look through some hot rod mags and you can see some advertised in a way that shows you how they work.

As for the rails you can use square tube and cut a guide groove for your roller pin and it will stay in the track rail.

For rollers you can use the smallest scale train wheels that will fit inside your rail.

It would be best to find your rollers first then build the rail to fit.

Once you have all the parts,tape the hood in place and work from the bottom of the body to keep things lined upHope this helps.

here is what you need

2 hinges

and a peice of angle

I ...............O

I.................I

I.................I

I.................I

I O_______I

I

in this little drawing the flat line is your hood, the two Os are your hinges, the section in between is the angle and the Is on the front are the front of the car

(ignore the dots)

that is the basic idea

the hinge on the front will move the hood slightly up and forward then, when the angle has shifted 90 degrees the second hinge will allow the hood to drop open

feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more info, i beleive this is the easyest way to make this work

Edited by diymirage

• 2 months later...

Hey there...

I see lots of tutorials on adding hinges to doors and trunks, but how about hoods? I need to hinge the resin hood (Bandit Resins) of a 71 Roadrunner to the plastic body. Any ideas? links to tutorials or other tips etc? After market places that sell hood hinges that aren't too crazy difficult to add?

Interesting... I've never tried hinging a resin hood, I just paint them and lay them on. I'm sure some plastic hinges could be glued to the resin hood w/ super glue, maybe? For Mopars, the AMT '68 Road Runner has a nice set of hinges, but they are the for an open use (i.e. the hood stays open with them installed). Those could be used if that is what you are going for. Functional ones, I don't know.

Edited by Rob Hall

Visible realistic appearing hinges, or can you settle for a way to keep the hood attached to the body, yet functional?

Most cars hoods form a point at each rear corner, near the A pillars. Using a fine aluminum wire, glue a short length under the hood at each corner, running length-wise. Have it stick out beyond each corner. Use super glue, or epoxy to attach each wire. Also consider scribing a trough for the wire.

Drill slightly oversized holes at the top of the firewall, and feed each glued hood wire through the holes. Bend the wire so the hood stays put.

I hope I explained that well.

• 1 month later...

Anybody have any ideas for making more reliable hinges for Lindberg L700. It's been years since I built this kit or the LRW and remember the hinges were a nightmare. Advice , Pictures how to would be appreciated

this might be heresy but i remember building that model long ago and i never really saw the benefit of having opening doors. there wasnt much to see in the interior to begin with, and only so much detailing to really do in there. that combined with the ###### hinges like you mention...i glued the doors on and didnt look back.

not sure i would do the same today, but...naw wait a minute, yeah i would still glue them!