Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge 1972-77 Truck Air Cleaner Question

I've been meaning to ask about the Chromed Air Cleaner in the MPC 1972-1978 Series of Dodge Trucks.

Part Number is usually 117, and it is two pieces,always chromed.

I'll post a link to the instruction

What exactly is it? It must be somehow race connected, or it would not have appeared in the Off Road racing themed 1972 Baja Brute. But, I've looked at contemporary ads, and I see nothing really like it. I'm sure that the MPC designers copied Something that they had seen. I just would like to know what? And why didn't we get a stock Air Cleaner too?

And what is the best way to assemble it? It looks odd to my eyes when I do it the way the directions want you to do it, But it doesn't look much better if you put it together any other way.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/1-sort/mpc-dodge-off-road-/scan0015.html#media

scan0015-vi.jpg.91ad13db59f16d36ff3d2cb2d76b277d.jpg

Edited by stavanzer

I can't speak to the origins of that air cleaner, other than its presence in every issue of the MPC D-Series pickup from MPC. 

All that I know is that it's far from being stock ! 

Perhaps it's representative of an open-element , foam filtre setup ?

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I can't speak to the origins of that air cleaner, other than its presence in every issue of the MPC D-Series pickup from MPC. 

All that I know is that it's far from being stock ! 

Perhaps it's representative of an open-element , foam filtre setup ?

Maybe so.

If that is what it is supposed to be in is not up to MPC's usual standards of Engraving and Tooling......

• Like 1