Model Cars Magazine Forum

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

But the mold "stealing" the employees did when they weren't paid took place back in the mid-late 70s when John Handley still ran the company. It's the reason all the subsequent Golden Oldies kits came out missing all of the "flat box" additional parts and often times the wrong later interiors in earlier versions of the same car.

Interesting, I had never heard about tool theft in the 70's. Everything I had heard was about mold theft in the last days of Seville. It does explain the mismatch parts. I always figured the custom parts were blocked off to save money (plastic).

• 1 month later...

My favorite thing about the tail end of Johan was the chrome sprues.

As has been mentioned, they would just run the parts in whatever colors they had handy. And since the plastic would be covered in chrome, sometimes they'd just throw whatever odd bucketfuls of colors that I imagine they'd swept off the floor.

If you ever strip the chrome on a later Johan part, be prepared for anything. It might be the same color as the raw plastic. Or not. Could be several colors. I've seen a few that were a treat of psychedelic swirls of color once the chrome came off. 🤣

• Like 2