Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Firebird Intake Manifold

StevenGuthmiller

Not to complicate things.  I did find the Revell Manifold.

DSCF3368.JPG.3caefc47d7824f977ff3355675c9e851.JPG

I also pulled out the Prestige version 65 Bonneville and 64 Tempest I have.  They both have a single carb manifold (appear to be exactly the same).  It gets down to what engine are you using.  I did a quick match of the Revell manifold to the engine in my 64 Tempest and it is a bit wider, needing some added surgery for fit. 

DSCF3367.JPG.021f3d21224cf425aaaf614f00eb5cb4.JPG

DSCF3369.JPG.b0fcf0c4f24558c4d9dc0d0b5c7cbbd3.JPG

Let me know which would work better for your build.

Edited by Exotics_Builder
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Not to complicate things.  I did find the Revell Manifold.

DSCF3368.JPG.3caefc47d7824f977ff3355675c9e851.JPG

I also pulled out the Prestige version 65 Bonneville and 64 Tempest I have.  They both have a single carb manifold (appear to be exactly the same).  It gets down to what engine are you using.  I did a quick match of the Revell manifold to the engine in my 64 Tempest and it is a bit wider, needing some added surgery for fit. 

DSCF3367.JPG.021f3d21224cf425aaaf614f00eb5cb4.JPG

DSCF3369.JPG.b0fcf0c4f24558c4d9dc0d0b5c7cbbd3.JPG

Let me know which would work better for your build.

I appreciate you going through the work of looking through your stash to compare the parts Gerry, but if you can spare it, the intake from the '68 Firebird is exactly what I'm looking for.

I also have some of the old annual kit's single carb intakes, but I find them to be pretty "Blob-ular" and devoid of any detail.

The '68's intake is exactly what I used on my '64 Bonneville, and it fit very well with minimal trimming on the engine from the Revell '66 GTO kit, which is the same basic engine that I will use for this project.

It has been explained to me that the 326 and 389 were basically identical externally, so I prefer to use a more detailed engine instead of the more rudimentary annual kit engines.

The other part of my reasoning is that the Pontiac engine's intake manifold should be "open" to the valley pan, which will be much easier to accomplish with the Firebird's intake.

I know this because I did it with the '64 Bonneville's engine.

The only real modifications that would be required aside from opening it up would be a slight modification of the deck to accommodate a 2 barrel rather than a 4.

Here are a few photos of what I'm talking about as far as the modifications to the '68's manifold for my Bonneville. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, if you can spare the '68 manifold, I would be eternally grateful to you Gerry! :)

I think that would be my best starting point.

Steve

You got it.  If you are using the 66 GTO engine as the base, then the Firebird manifold is best.  Blobular is a good description of the AMT manifold.  PM me your snail mail and I will get it out next week.  I'll ping you with a tracking number.