Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 Toyota Celica 1600GT - Aoshima

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I left this post hanging. Apologies. Just for posterity, I'll throw in some process pics. I did not expect a curbside kit but that's cool. I'm not prepared to light this kit but perhaps on future builds. It does have active suspension which reminds me when Matchbox cars had springs Hot Wheels didn't. Is that right?

20240406_224041.jpg

20240406_224031.jpg

20240408_122125.jpg

Edited by CA Whitecloud

Weird issue with the interior fit. The steering wheel was too low. I couldn't see where it was my error, so...cut and paste. Also the gauges are clear plastic so I made do. I have decals just didn't feel it on this one.

*Back in the day, I had the same 6x9's on the back deck.

20240414_174438.jpg

20240413_214652.jpg

20240413_214715.jpg

Posted (edited)

Things were going fine, but whether it's planes or cars panel lines are my nemesis. I can never get Tamiya liner to flow right and I tried a Stadler 0.2 paint pen. Came out too heavy and uneven.

20240418_224514.jpg

20240418_224539.jpg

Edited by CA Whitecloud

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, milo1303s said:

looks good I'd lower it personally don't let the glue around the badge get you they most likely rust there any way lol!!! 

I would not know where to start if I wanted to lower it. I've been wanting to try that on a kit for a while.

Edited by CA Whitecloud

I purchased a 1974 Toyota GT in the late 1970s with a 5 speed manual shift trans. It was a fun little car. An a bit of a upgrade from my previous ride, 1969 Ford Falcon Futura (200 cubic in 6, 3 speed automatic). Because of the Celica (my first manual shift) I developed a love for manual trans after overcoming a few scary moments trying to pull away from a stop on some of Halifax's steep, San Francisco like hills downtown.

In the 1980s I built a kit like this but mine had the engine. Brings back some memories.