Model Cars Magazine Forum

Magnifer 1/12 GT40 MKII 1966 Lemans kit group build

I am one of many that has been following Ken Morton’s build of the Trumpeter/Magnifer kit build which has exposed many known or perhaps newly discovered inaccuracies with the kit.  As I coincidently started the kit at about the same time as Ken the information provided by others has been extremely helpful for this group build.  The original Trumpeter kit came out in 2008 and under the Magnifer brand in 2020.  Given the access to information at the time and the comparatively low price for a kit of this size, it's not too surprising there are some egregious errors and omissions in the engine compartment.  I will not repeat the discussion of those inaccuracies on this post.  This post will show pictures of the work in process of a group build that will display the talents of several members of the Model Car creations club that is based  in Broward county Florida.

Now on to this build.  A distributor was added to the engine as were plug wires.  I forgot to take a picture after I had installed several of the oil lines so those will show up in an updated post.  The engine has been set aside and the body was given to another club member for painting.  The next steps will be assembling the chassis and interior by another club member.  I will post updates every 2-3 weeks due to the kit being passed from builder to builder as more is completed.  I had hoped this kit would be more accurate and will leave it up to the builder(s) to modify or add parts on their own as we realize there is no such thing as a perfect kit and completing the kit with a lot of modifications could add even more hours to a build that may exceed a few hundred hours.  Before the final assembly there may be a chance to make some changes if new information or tips are provided that are compelling enough to go ahead with them.  Thanks for following along and any comments or suggestions are welcome.

IMG_2227.png

IMG_1770.jpeg

• Like 3

Great to see this build here.  Do post any issues your guys come across as it will be helpful.  I see the build will be of the 1046 chassis.

BTW is the tan underside just a primer?

It will be interesting to see how this group project turns out.

56 minutes ago, kensar said:

Great to see this build here.  Do post any issues your guys come across as it will be helpful.  I see the build will be of the 1046 chassis.

BTW is the tan underside just a primer?

It will be interesting to see how this group project turns out.

I’ll post any issues that have not already been covered by other step by step builds.  Yes the underside is primer and will be painted the dark blue as seen in the restoration of P/1046.