Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Gatorade McLaren - Johnny Rutherford

I had a long-winded explanation of what I am doing with this one but my computer decided to disconnect to the internet. I want back and pulled it back up but there was a tag that said clear editor and I did. When I did that everything disappeared. So don't even click on "clear editor" or you will lose everything! So  now you get the short explanation. I had a 74 McLaren from the MPC Hall of Fame kit. I have previously built one of these. I studied phots of the 75 McLaren and determined that the turbo was more centrally located over the transmission instead of directly back and to the left of the body with a straight exhaust pipe. The rear wing is also smaller. So I bought an AMT 1975 McLaren from e-bay for $35. What I found was that AMT took the 1974 MPC McLaren with new instructions and decals and stuffed it in an AMT box. So I am right back where I started but $40 lighter. Here are some photos, I hope:

image.png.d6e31648c40c44b2e8d72c10b9cb0fa5.png

image.png.8ed25450be0d14a85fbf086bf9b09414.png

image.png.1fe0906b85560e9216c52e0e18bc51b0.png

• Like 2

Actually a bit of correction. The McLaren was originally issued by AMT. The only three MPC Indy cars were the Dan Gurney Eagle, also issued as a Bobby Unser car, Lotus Indy Turbine  and 1/20 Silent Sam turbine.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike! I was referring to the MPC Indy Hall of Fame kit which combined the 1963 Parnelli Jones roadster, the 1963 Lotus Ford driven by Jimmy Clark and the 1974 Johnny Rutherford McLaren. Maybe MPC re-issued all three AMT kits but those are the ones in the MPC Hall of Fame kit. Nonetheless, the 74 was reissued as a 75 with little to no changes. 

I've been busy trying to change the routing of the turbo and I think I have arrived at a reasonable approach which more centrally locates the turbo. Actually, I just flipped the turbo so that the exhaust comes out of the left and the velocity stack is on the right. Then I shortened the pipe that attaches to the waist gate and re-routed the rest of the pipes. the turbo should be right behind the engine but I couldn't manage to do that because the suspension is in the way. I toyed with the idea of lengthening the transmission or using another one from another kit but that would have been a lot of work and this accomplished a change that should work. I also white glued to body together (not very well) and found that I only needed to cut a small corner off the engine cover at the end in order to make this fit. I also cut some supports for the turbo so that it wouldn't be a flying turbo!  So now, I can start painting. I will have fun painting the engine now that it is together! Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.be4007018c77bca64e3f211a83204738.png

image.png.b3dfd149ac9fb5959b4f1dd39b173727.png

image.png.c7b42d3a152ce4f518e372fffc9513d7.png

• Like 1

I finished painting everything today and none too soon as it is raining now and I have to paint on my covered patio. The white is Dupli-Color Pure white that I painted yesterday and the green is Testors square bottle Gloss Green thinned for airbrush. I'll do the green outlines on the radiator side pods and the front wing with some tape and a brush. So now after it dries a couple of days, I'll try to rub it out lightly (no clear coat because I don't have an enamel clear and they always yellow too quick anyway) and apply some Pledge Revive It. The white is already cleared because it is lacquer and it has been rubbed out a bit. 

I have some extra vinyl tires from an extra parts kit and correct four spoke wheels from a Penske PC-6 kit that I have already painted black. So I can sand the tires out including the Goodyear markings on the side and assemble the wheels and tires. That should keep me busy for a while. Plus I can finish the rear suspensions around the motor and get that all assembled so that when the body is ready I'll be ready to assemble this one. Oh, and did I mention there's a contest next Saturday so I can prepare for that as well. Should be a busy week! Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.64283d2cc52863bfa7fdd5804a397e3d.png

image.png.acedb5aa6c585f220162d1ae822b0acc.png

• Like 1

I finished the wheels and tires. Sanded the raised letters off of both sides of the tires and then sanded the drive surface of the tire to eliminate the mold line and make them look driven. I moved the front wing back about 1/16" to line up with the nose and eliminated the inside end plate that doesn't need to be there. I cut about 1/4" off each side of the rear wing because it was really too wide and needs to be within the width of the rear tires. I also finished the engine detailing and added the support rods for the suspension. a lot of work in the sub-assemblies but it should pay off in the final product. Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.4c4b2bcf40174e458cf09d3c3ec6dd34.png

• Like 1

You are doing a very nice job with what is IMO, kind of a pig of a kit.  The kit is (again, MY opinion) a very rough representation of the McLaren Indy Car.  

It is really unfortunate that there have not been many accurate, commercially available Indy car models made.  I am hoping the new kits supposedly in test shot phase will be more representative