Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 GTO wheels and covers

I am gathering the parts, finally, to build my dad's GTO. The car had steel wheels, but he can't remember what the wheel covers looked like. I found these two styles while searching the web. Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures of the actual car. Any ideas if these are available? I am using the, um, less than desirable 67 GTO kit as a base. Thanks.

tmp_vehiclead_5fac88bd484e6_24a7c1ed0839956bae32729c93a589b68414cc3b-2023833513.jpeg

s-l300-3239276800.jpg

You may need to find someone to design & print a set. The bottom one looks fairly easy to design.
I've never done spoke wheels before so I don't know how hard that is but its beyond my skill set.

After a lot of digging on my computer, I found the one and only picture we know of that has the car in it. My dad and mom standing next to it, must be summer of 1970, Sault Ste Marie, MI.

The wheels look like the lower option in my previous post. Dad added '68 GTO side markers to the car, cause he liked how they looked. 

I only remember the car with riveted on galvanized lower on the rear quarters, darn WI road salt.

PICT0246.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, TarheelRick said:

Don't know anything about the wheel covers you are searching for, just wanted to thank your Dad for his service. (From another USAF veteran).

He appreciates that, thanks.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:28 PM, ksnow said:

I am gathering the parts, finally, to build my dad's GTO. The car had steel wheels, but he can't remember what the wheel covers looked like. I found these two styles while searching the web. Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures of the actual car. Any ideas if these are available? I am using the, um, less than desirable 67 GTO kit as a base. Thanks.

s-l300-3239276800.jpg

Though not exactly the same, I found these while rummaging around in my hubcap stash.
With some wash in the spoke grooves they could be a good alternative if you can't find the correct ones. Dunno what kit they came out of. Maybe someone else can ID them.

IMG_20240502_075404535~2.jpg

Edited by MeatMan