Model Cars Magazine Forum

T-5 the german Mustang

1967mustang

this is my first under glass post the pictures are from my first ever competition where i won my first ever blue ribbon ENJOY

Is it a Mustang?

The answer is no!

In 1965 Ford decided to send the Mustang overseas to Germany. The problem? The name Mustang was already in use by a motorcycle company and a truck company in Germany, so Ford would have had to pay a $10,000 fee for the right to use the Mustang name in Germany. So instead of paying $10,000 Ford decided to designate all German export Mustangs as T-5’s (that had been the project code at Ford). All 65’-78’ Mustangs exported to Germany were designated as T-5’s. The Mustang name does not appear anywhere on the vehicle. The T-5 was not only different in name but in equipment too, due to them having to fit German motor vehicle regulations. There had to be an anti-theft locking device on the steering column, sealed beam headlights (common in North America) were not legal in Germany, parking lamps and turn signals had to be different, high beam indicators had to be blue not red, and the taillights were modified to German motor vehicle regulations. Some T-5’s got metric speedometers. Many T-5’s that returned to America with military personnel were converted to miles-per-hour. Not all T-5’s got these modifications. Ford built thousands of T-5’s for German export not all of them returned.

The T-5 I have built has a 289 and Ford 9-inch. It’s raven black with red deluxe interior. It has black steel wheels and red line tires. I hope that all shall enjoy its beauty and history.

Thank you for looking, I hope you enjoyed it.

Thank you to Tim Ridout for giving me the link to Model Car Magazines website. Thank you Gary in Texas for sending the redlines. And last but not least thank you Mustang Monthly Magazine for giving me the information.

post-4071-1238450031_thumb.jpg

post-4071-1238450195_thumb.jpg

I love this. Very cool.

There was a British guy that used to come to the Mustang shows here in Northern California that had a T-5 apparently it was the real deal. It was interesting with all of the small changes it had. I haven't seen it in years though, dont know if he sold it or what but it was very neat even if they were just small changes.

Is thishow the T-5 trans come along as well Coz the Germans has another name for the Ford Trans, This is one very interesting history lesson and very well researched well done on a great model and a good job with all that has been done to show off this little Beauty.

Dingo :lol:

thank you, its funny it looks really good in the picture but at the show the judges called it the amazing explodeing mustang because every time they picked it up something fell off.

Congratulations on the ribbons Stang! I see you got the redlines in time and they look great.

I saw a T-5 in Louisiana. As I recall it was dark green and everyone was puzzled why it looked like a Mustang, but didn't say "Mustang" on it anywhere. I thought it was a unique piece of automotive history. Car shows and cruise nights are full of Mustangs, but not many T-5s.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...