Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Car Judging Sheet

Hello, Monica! I hope that I'm being of some help here.... Here is a link to a page on the IPMS site. You'll have to scroll down about 1/4 of the page to a heading called "The Modeling Basics". There is listed the things that judges take into consideration when choosing their favorites........

https://ipmsusa.org/about/national-contest-committee/ipmsusa-modelers-guide-ipms-contests/ipmsusa-modelers-guide-ipms-contests

As far as a printed out check list, hopefully someone (maybe a judge, even) can help you with that.....

Thanks for joining!

It's basically things like cleanliness of paint and assembly, attention to the basics like mold line removal, things such as that.......

We have a WIP section a little higher up on the forum list..... You're absolutely welcome to post your students' works! You'll get tons of feedback and tips in pretty much real time, which could be valuable when it comes to the problem-solving aspect of building...........

Anyways, again welcome!

I have been a judge in many shows over the years. I have judged the best-of-the-best entries and the worst-of-the-worst too. There was one class with around 6 cars entered, it was a general class and didn't attract many entries. So we had to come up with 3 that we had trophies for. It came down to the winner being the one that had a driveshaft in it. I recall leaving parts out as a kid if they were problematic.

Junior classes are always interesting, quality has a wide range. Unfortunately there have not been too many entries at shows in later years. Sometimes there are only 2 cars entered where it used to pull 10 or 12.