Model Cars Magazine Forum

Attaching a model to a wood base.

A few years back I completed a model of my dad's work truck.

TX23-24.jpg

TX23-14.jpg

It's been my "Masterpiece", best model I've ever done, and as such has become very valuable to me. I had a wood base and acrylic top made for it. I used thin wire wound around the front drive axle (between the duals) and through small eye screws also between the duals to secure the model to the base. Lately the model has been getting loose. I don't handle it too often, but I'm sure moving it from time to time, and a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida has contributed to the model getting looser on the base. I want to re- attach the model to the base in a more secure way, bus also try as much as possible to keep the method of attachment as hidden as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this? Thanks in advance.

Edited by N1095A

I would never have attached the model to the base in the first place. I have several large (1/8 scale) models sitting on wooden bases, but they're not attached.

But if you really want to attach the model to the base permanently, there are several ways you could go.

Epoxy the model to the base with a drop of epoxy at the point where each tire touches the ground.

Drill a hole into the chassis somewhere near the front and the back and epoxy a length of aluminum or brass rod into place in each hole, drill corresponding holes in the base and epoxy the rods into the base. Paint the rods flat black and they'll be very hard to see.

Drill a small hole in the base right below the front and rear axles, loop some wire around the axles and through the holes in the base and epoxy the wire in place under the base. After the epoxy sets up, snip off the wires flush with the bottom of the base.

But like I said, if it was me I'd never attach the model permanently to a base at all.

Thanks for your response. I do need to attach the model to the base. There are a lot of pertrusions i.e. mirrors that could be broken off by the model hitting the inside of the acrylic cover. I want to be able to move the whole thing without worrying about the model moving around inside the case. Recently it bounced around in a truck for the 25 hour trip down from Pennsylvania. I'm looking into the idea of epoxying the wires to the base. I'm trying to avoid drilling through the wood as the bottom of the base is covered in felt. I may have to drill some small holes through, and countersink from the bottom to make a place for the drop of epoxy. Another thing I thought of was to make a small u-bolt out of very small threaded rod, put the u-end over the axle, and run the other end through the base and attach from the bottom with a small nut. All ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mike

Edited by N1095A

Another idea could be to make some holes (probably 6, 2 front axle, 2 middle axle and 2 rear axle) in the wood base, where the tires are and glue on them some steel wire. On the model's tire also you will make 6 holes, so the wire can go in it. After you can choose if glue the model to the wood base/metal wire or not. I think it will be fine also without glue.

I'm with Harry.

I wouldn't attach it.

I've traveled to the GSL twice and down to Calif. for the NNL West, in a 4X pickup truck, stiff riding, and never damaged anything.

All the models I own travel in a case like yours.

For traveling, I turn the case over, fill it with padded cushion material of your choice. I use a stack of soft Kleenex on the bottom, put the model in, and cushion it on all four sides with more Kleenex.

Just one more option - dave B)

I would attach at the tires rather than the chassis. Too much chance to flex and break plastic pieces.

Maybe drill and epoxy small nuts in the tires and run bolts up through the base.

Then you could still detach w/o breakage later if needed.

I would attach at the tires rather than the chassis. Too much chance to flex and break plastic pieces.

Maybe drill and epoxy small nuts in the tires and run bolts up through the base.

Then you could still detach w/o breakage later if needed.

Or even easier: Just pre-prill the tires and use thin wood screws through the base. Totally invisible, very secure and also very easy to take off.