Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would you...

We all know what're happened when Amt did a line on Boyd Coddington's cars. What would happen if someone did a line on Chip Foose's designs from Overhaulin' or other designs? Would any of you build them? I know I would, especially that F100 that they did for him. Well honestly I would build any of them as long as there was some sort of detail to them.

0606clt_03_zfoose_f_100.jpg

0606clt_04_zfoose_f_100_rear.jpg

289862756_e9bd2047c9.jpg

30971.jpg

c12_0603_my_garage_03zchip_foose195.jpg

2008-ford-f-150-foose-edi_460x0w.jpg

f1506.jpg

Foose-70-Challenger-RA-1280x960.jpg

Foose-70-Challenger-SA-Chip-2-1600x.jpg

Edited by Clay

I know I might be in the minority here, but I am no fan of Foose. So sue me.

Seems like all he ever does it slap on a set of huge wheels and a paint job. Big freakin' deal. Who can't do that??? :D

On that 50s era F-series pickup... besides the big wheels, what exactly did he "design"? Who among us couldn't have done the same exact thing? Why is this guy a star??? ;)

If I remember right, he did most of the same stuff Raul did to his Raptor hauler.

But hey its your choice not to like him, and I am all for that. I was mainly asking if you would build any models if someone did any of his.

Come on Harry, focus!!! ;)

I guess this could apply to all the automotive shows, Horsepower TV, Muscle Car, Trucks, Xtreme 4x4, and Gears. I would definitely build Stacy David's Copperhead.

copperhead.jpg

c109_1.jpg

bd7b_1.jpg

3803_1.jpg

34e7_1.jpg

Inputs and opinions welcome, except for you Harry. :D

Edited by Clay

I´m a fan of Foose´s design but Troy as well…

I´m building the ´52 Chevy Butterscorched from Overhaulin´ TV Show. I´m also intended to do this black F-100… let me finish the Chevy first….

Butter_b.JPG

Butter_001.jpg

Butter_003.jpg

Butter_053.jpg

Butter_054.jpg

Harry, what about the Eleanor??? Sniper? ;)

Edited by Drago

I for one would definatly love to build some foose designs. i was a big fan of the overhaulin series. that was really cool when they overhauled that F-100 for him. didn't his dad have something to do with it?

Edited by vizio93

Harry, what about the Eleanor??? Sniper? ;)

I don't see a whole lotta talent there. He's famous for being famous, like Paris Hilton.

Anybody can take a car and add huge custom wheels and a paint job. There's no design talent whatsoever needed to do that. Show me some original design work he's done, not just taking an existing car and "overhauling" it... :D

Sorry Clay, but I have to agree with Harry on dis one big time as I dispise the " Bling" wheels on ANYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They make everything I have ever seen them on look like a fish out oif water ! as for the Tape paint jobs -------- HO HUMMMMMMMM thats the same stuff that Custom Vans went to in the eighties . Thats also the same time I said good bye to vans and went to building wreckers , 1-1 ones Sorry but Chip Foose aint no designer to me Harry Bradley , Gene Winfield , Darryl Starbird , heck at least they had talent ! Ed Shaver

Guest Davkin

You can't judge Foose by the Overhaulin' show alone. I agree, those cars do nothing for me, but Foose has been involved in a lot of other builds without 7 day time limits that were definately unique designs, (P-32 for example) he even helped design and build a Ridler winner. I'm not a fan of most of Foose' designs, but I don't see how anybody could discount his talent.

David

I don't see a whole lotta talent there. He's famous for being famous, like Paris Hilton.

Anybody can take a car and add huge custom wheels and a paint job. There's no design talent whatsoever needed to do that. Show me some original design work he's done, not just taking an existing car and "overhauling" it... :D

He might not have much time to do it on the Overhaulin' show, but the thing about Foose's cars is that they are customized in a way that "doesn't show". It might sound funny, but if you compare his cars with the originals, you'll see that they have actually been "nipped and tucked" quite extensively. Still, it doesn't show first time you just look at it, you have to study them carefully to see what he did to them. He just refines the original design and brings out the best in it by massaging it very carefully so it may not be what you would call traditional customizing, but he's one of the best when it comes to making good looking cars look even better. So it's definitely not just "big wheels and a paint job".

I'm not sure if I would buy any models of his cars though. I don't care much for big wheels, customs etc so I guess I'll just stick to those old, boring showroom stockers... B)

...you'll see that they have actually been "nipped and tucked" quite extensively. Still, it doesn't show first time you just look at it, you have to study them carefully to see what he did to them. He just refines the original design and brings out the best in it by massaging it very carefully so it may not be what you would call traditional customizing, but he's one of the best when it comes to making good looking cars look even better. So it's definitely not just "big wheels and a paint job".

Show me.

Guest Davkin

I do remember him reshaping the bumpers often on that show, usually to get them cleaner and tucked into the body better. He's done minor body reshaping as well. You can't do a full on custom in 7 days Harry, no matter how many warm bodies you throw at it. To fully appreciate Foose you've got to look beyond Overhaulin'. That show may have made him a household word but it doesn't really showcase his talent.

David

Just give me a model that can be built stock or three in one type anytime. The custom car modelers can use them to build what they like. There are too many cars and trucks that have never been issued, that I would like to see. The custom Mercury was a waste too me. How many ways can you build chopped Mercury ? Plus there was already a stock kit of one that folks seemed to chop and modify just fine. So I would not buy one, just like I never bought a Boyd's models

Foose did MUCH more then just add big wheels and a paint job. He also rebuilt or replaced the engine, and interior in most if not ALL the Overhaulin cars. He did this with DONATED parts.

Now, I was NOT a fan of ALL the paint jobs, and if the owner could not afford to do it, how long will the car last? But I think that the man had talent.

I liked the SMC show, but I did NOT like the fact that they filled the side marker lights on all the classics they did.

Would I build a Foose inspired model, SURE!!! Send me some parts!! B)

Short answer...yes. Yes I would.

Actually, I was just thinking about a line of Foose models the other day...

To those that say that Foose is just big wheels and paint, let me share some of his own designs...

P32:

foosep32.jpg

Grand Master:

grandmaster_1_JYL_PakWheelscom.jpg

Hemisfear:

hrdp_0707_01_zchip_foose_hemisfear_.jpg

Impression:

impression1_GYS_PakWheelscom.jpg

Somewhat off the subject, but I'd also like to see a line of Hot Wheels kits, based off the old Redline-era cars like the Twin Mill, Splittin' Image, Beach Bomb, Whip Creamer, Bye Focal...okay, I'll stop (I'm also a bit of a Hot Wheels collector...lol).

I would definitely build these models;anybody who knows me knows this is the 'style' I build in. Chip Foose and Troy Trepanier are two of my biggest influences; I believe Chip designed the 'Hemisphear" while in college. While I won't say I like ALL their creations,I think they both have a wealth of 'hands on'talent. I say the same for Boyd coddington (who was an a**hole or an angel,depending on whose point of view you follow) and 'Lil John Buttera..........Steve Zimmerman aka the'Z'man

This post took a turn for the worse. It was suppose to be a "would you build this if it was made" type of post. It wasnt suppose to be a debate on if he is a designer or not. So I would appreciate it if everyone would refrain from saying if they like him or not, and besides its not just about Chip Foose anymore.

This post took a turn for the worse. It was suppose to be a "would you build this if it was made" type of post. It wasnt suppose to be a debate on if he is a designer or not. So I would appreciate it if everyone would refrain from saying if they like him or not, and besides its not just about Chip Foose anymore.

Yes, depending on the subject matter, I would buy a few.

Show me.

I hate big wheels, so if it was just a matter of that I would hate Foose's cars too. I don't have any good examples to show you, you just have to pick up some magazines and read about his cars, they'll usually tell you about all the details. It seems like you have a very strong opinion about him and I don't want to start any arguments, but I guess that discussing Foose vs other car designers is like discussing other subjects that are simply a matter of taste and opinion. You are obviously a very talented artist yourself so I'm sure that you know that no one will win in a discussion about, for example, "Rembrandt vs Picasso". ;)

Back to the original question... if I ever built one of those models, I'd probably add a little something of my own to them. I don't think I'd ever want to build one "stock."

yea i think i would use the idea of the car and expand it from there.