Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

I think i hear them calling me ! :unsure:

I would be 1 of them LOWRIDER guys that use the gel ! I believe i am the first modeler to take on gel pens but i honestly don't know ! I know i was the first on LAYITLOW.com to post a build up using the pens so I will try to answer your question the best i can and in a good spelling cause i'm not so great at that ! LOL !

The gels that i used up until February this year were called ROSE ART and i got them at WAL MART !

000_0538.jpg

000_0533.jpg

They run around $6.00 for a package of 12

With this set i found that the metallic colors silver and gold faded once you cleared them !

Here's a pic of them on a build !

Picture037.jpg

I also use these gel pens that a great friend has given me !

They are called GEL WRITERS and are on eBay for around $30.00 but come in an 84 pack !But the good news is that with this set all the colors work great , the pens roll smooth and they do not move when adding your clear coat !

257948801_tp.jpg

257948915_tp.jpg

Here's a pic of them on a build !

101_3896.jpg

NOW THIS TAKES LOTS OF PRACTICE ! YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL CAUSE THE INK WILL NOT DRY UNTIL IT IS CLEARED ! IT WILL WIPE RIGHT SO YOU MUST BE AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING !

I HAVE ALSO FOUND THAT THE BASE COAT HAS TO BE FLAT NON SHINNY FOR THE PENS TO WORK FREE AND EASY .

The ball of the pens seem to not want to roll on gloss surfaces !

I use the pens on hot rods, tuners , mini trucks, interior items for detail , heck once you get a set you will use them on everything !

Its even been said that i use them to much LOL ;) ! I tell them its just my trade mark LOL ! :blink:

101_1055.jpg

Just practice and use your imagination ! And your sure to have a blast and find the way it works best for you !

minidreams: so the ink doesnt dry until you clear coat it? will it standup to tamiya clear out of the spray can? any special tips for sealing the gel?

i assume that what you do is your basic paint job, then dullcoat it so the pens will work well, then do the gel pen business, and finally seal the whole thing with gloss clear to also get back your gloss finish. correct?

that stuff youre doing is awesome.

minidreams: so the ink doesnt dry until you clear coat it? will it standup to tamiya clear out of the spray can? any special tips for sealing the gel?

i assume that what you do is your basic paint job, then dullcoat it so the pens will work well, then do the gel pen business, and finally seal the whole thing with gloss clear to also get back your gloss finish. correct?

that stuff youre doing is awesome.

OK ! Yes the ink will not dry until it is covered !

I use all automotive items ~ NO TESTORS, OR TAMIYA but the gel will be safe under them from others that work with pens also and have covered them with these clears when they build !

I use the real deal paints from left overs on 1:1 cars i have sprayed or I go to the paint suppler and ordered the color i want !

These colors here i self reduce and they have no glossing to them ! they spray wet the flash dry that leaves flat and easy to work with ! Now i do my paint work like this most of the time !

i do all my paint work and tape frist , then foil , then decals if i use them then the gel pens , then clear !

That way its gel pen then protect and i dont have to worry about it getting handled and tring too foil !

All my foil is under clear !

Now if i am to a build that is using a ton of pen work like this 1 !

000_2833.jpg

i used what is called a binder ! Some real painters use a mid clear but takes a few hours to dry vs the binder ! Its a milky color till its cleared , but it lets you seal the pens and handle it to add more so once you get area done you can move on and not worry about what has been do already !

I also chose to use the binder when adding my flakes and pearls ! When you add them to the clear it will move when you wet sand and polish ! but in the binder you are turning the flakes and preals into a stage of paint and when you clear it its pure clear ! You have a better finish and more even wet finish this way !

Sound like alot of work but if you ever see any of builds in person the time and steps is well worth it !

Edited by David@MinidreamsInc.