Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing glue

That's the plan. Get it cold and brittle. Of course you have to be careful, but the glue will seperate much easier than at room temperature. I'm talking Testor's plastic glue. I don't use much super glue or Tenax type glues. I know the freezer deal works on the Testor's but just don't know about the others. But, hey, what have you got to lose?

• 2 months later...
That's the plan. Get it cold and brittle. Of course you have to be careful, but the glue will seperate much easier than at room temperature. I'm talking Testor's plastic glue. I don't use much super glue or Tenax type glues. I know the freezer deal works on the Testor's but just don't know about the others. But, hey, what have you got to lose?

Hello, I'm new here but I saw this post and thought I could help out.

The freezing thing sounds good but I don't know about you guys but I like something a little faster.

I found a product zap??? sorry I don't have it in front of me. Anyway! the first thing that jumps out at you when you open this stuff is the smell.

It smells very baddly of paint thinner. Now straight thinner is too strong, however fingernail polish remover is a thinner version of paint thinner if you will. EVEN though it's watered down for lack of a better term it will still eat your model if you use too much at once. So to disolve glue both model and supper glue use an eye dropper and drip it onto the glue and the glue is eatten. As an example: I used finger nail polish remover to un-crome the fin of a 57 bell air and forgot it over night. The next day the fin was currled upin the bottom of the jarlike a ribbon. Needless to say it was useless. Not only does polish remover good for killing glue it also does nicely as removing old paint from parts. but again this stuff eats plastic so keep a very close eye on your parts.

I hope this helps.

The nail polish remover you buy in the store is nothing more than acetone with a little oil added to tone it down for use on hands. Its nasty stuff.

A few days in the freezer will loosen up most parts. I've been working on a '51 Chevy glue bomb and a weekend in the freezer loosened everything to where it popped loose. It worked especially well for loosening small stuff like headlight, tail lights, etc.

Gary