Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro touring wheels

Ron L

Been working on these on and off for years but finally have some real progress now that I have some work bench space. Never been that impressed with the aftermarket wheels out there for 1/25 scale cars, especially for the "Pro touring" look for vintage iron. So I made my own. They use a multi-piece machined aluminum rim with resin center. They can be configured to any offset needed. The first two pictures for example are of the same 18" wheels.

rims1901crop-vi.jpg

rims1902crop-vi.jpg

Today I worked on the 19 inchers (and cleaned the Chevelle):

rims014-vi.jpg

rims017-vi.jpg

rims018-vi.jpg

The offset is adjustable - I just snapped the pics without even realizing how deep they were set in. I think the 18s would work better on the Corvair but the 19s still look good from different angles. Here's what the Corvair looked like for the past 3 years. You might have seen it in Contest Cars 2007(?) from NNL West:

P8210084-vi.jpg

I've got lots more centers to machine and cast. You won't see any goofy designs from me, just proven ones. I'm not one for blingy wheels that have lots of weird curves and spikes.

Edited by Ron L

Great job, what are you using for masters, existing designs or custom work (might have a request)

would love to see other designs you may have

I'm hacking up some existing ones but I do have a few custom pieces that are still on paper. Well, digital paper that is. Once I get the drawings done I can have a few mock-ups hopefully next week. I leave town Friday so if I'm quiet that's because I don't get back until the 22nd.

What design did you have in mind?

• 1 month later...