Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junkyard Monte Carlo

greenday

After I dropped my Monte Carlo, I figured I should do something with it, so today I gave it a coat of flat black, did some weathering, and did what I could with the remains. I did this pretty quickly, so it is far from perfect, but I think it looks cool. I think it needs a dio though.

Before:

102_15292.jpg

After a couple years in the local junkyard:

102_1627.jpg

102_1626.jpg

I need to at least get some outdoor pics in better light, my bedroom is dim so it makes the pictures grainy.

That took courage ....and the new version looks good!

Thank ya! I spent like $20 on the kit and some paint at Michaels...might as well not let it sit there. I also lost a wheel, a window pane, etc. I think I might add some more detail/weathering tommorow..might have to break out the soldering iron and make a reason for it to be in the 'yard...hehe.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words, I know this isn't anywhere near as nice as some of the models around here, so it really says something for the members, (and this site) to be just as kind as you would on a newbie's models as you would a pro's. So, fo that I have to say thanks. I want to add a little more detail, do you all have any suggestions?

I want to add a little more detail, do you all have any suggestions?

Completely remove the TPI intake, every Camaro, Monte Carlo, and Firebird I've seen at the junkyard that has a Cross-Fire V6 or TPI V8 has it's intake removed down to the block. These are usually the first thing taken by people because they sell them for big bucks.

Completely remove the TPI intake, every Camaro, Monte Carlo, and Firebird I've seen at the junkyard that has a Cross-Fire V6 or TPI V8 has it's intake removed down to the block. These are usually the first thing taken by people because they sell them for big bucks.

Thats a good idea, I have noticed that too, on carbureted (sp) vehichles as well.

Couple outdoor pics:

102_1628.jpg

102_1632.jpg

102_1640.jpg

102_1629.jpg

102_1634.jpg (Pics taken before I read your post)

• 3 weeks later...

Screw the "Pros & Newbies" stuff. If you're having fun building, you win! Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, anyway.

Nice work on the Monte. You've caught the derelict look pretty well, especially for someone who hasn't done a lot of it. You mentioned ideas, I have one: Consider adding some debris that isn't actually parts of the car. most cars that end up in junkyards have some stray stuff floating around the interior: dirty old oil bottles, burger sacks, a cassette tape or two, etc. Also, youmight consider adding some tool that someone forgot and left behind under the hood when they were scavenging the injection system: pair of pliers, combo wrench, whatever. Maybe even add some rust to it to give the appearance that it's been there a while.

Either way, you've got a darned nice model already. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

that wouldnt be the only thing gone, especially since its an ss.

The front fascia would be gone, hte valve covers, the dizzy, heck most of the drivetrain! :D

it looks great man! i'd do like some others have suggested, adding "debris" to the interior, maybe make it look like it got in a wreck at some point(bent exhaust tips,broken windows,dents and gouges) and maybe like something fell on it? maybe some guns shots? :D the possibilities are endless!

• 1 month later...

You'd be hard pressed to find a good nose on an SS in the junkyard. The parts that are first to go on these cars are the following:

Power steering gearbox - It's a close ratio gearbox that is highly desirable

Transmission crossmember - Notorious for rotting out

Posi rearend

Console lid with good hinges

Tilt steering column that is tight and doesn't have worn bushings.

Monte Carlo SS's NEVER came with the TPI setup from the factory. The only engine combo was the L69 HO 305 "H" engine code with the Quadrajet 4 barrel carb. TPI's were only available on the Camaros and Firebirds.

Having owned over a dozen 4th Gen SS's through the years, I've gotten pretty familiar with what's desirable and what's not on these cars. :blink: