Model Cars Magazine Forum

2003 Sterling Marlin Coors Light Dodge Intrepid

Billy Kingsley

Here's another one that I started years ago, and finished the body, putting off the chassis. (All the NASCAR models I finished these past two weeks are the same story). I've always liked this paint scheme. It debuted (at least the basis of it) as a special paint scheme in 2000 and became the standard paint scheme in 2001, lasting until 2005 which was Sterling's last year in the #40.

I painted the car Model Master Lacquer Sterling Silver and it wears kit decals. (with the addition of the Winston Cup logo from a contingency sheet-either Slixx or JWTBM, I don't recall at this point) Even though I decaled this in 2004 or 05, I had actually kept track of the tiny little 40s for the wheels and used the ones provided on the same sheet that did the body; I didn't have to cut into another sheet, although it would not have been an issue as I have 14 of them, give or take. (I am debating doing that anyway to fix the roof number) I did this so long ago I didn't even know to remove the mold lines. All these I finished were from that time when I was first starting, except for the one that came out crappy and I'm not going to bother posting! (go figure!)

205-vi.jpg

208-vi.jpg

211-vi.jpg

206-vi.jpg

234-vi.jpg

This is one of the few models where I got those thingies on the inside of the A pillar to work. I have a bunch of them in my parts box, and I saw on the boxart that the car had them, so I figured, I will try and see if they fit, they did.

209-vi.jpg

212-vi.jpg

210-vi.jpg

Oddly enough, this body somehow ended up in a Ryan Newman kit box, which provided the chassis. It is likely from the last time I had all my inprogress kits out which was 2006. .....I found it funny, anyway!

• 10 months later...