Model Cars Magazine Forum

2009 LeMans palooza is in the history books!

Sorry, I didn't take photos all day long. I didn't get my camera out until about 8 AM this morning :D

We had a blast as usual (good thing there weren't any open flames, with all the soda and junk food being consumed...) and 6 models were finished. One of those was a detail-intense Ferrari F430 GT that was started earlier. The rest were started (we allow primer before the race) at 9AM on Saturday when the race started on the east coast.

Builders: yours truly, Ferrari 330 P4 NART; Henry Trent, Corvette C6R & Porsche 962; Wayne Webers, Alfa T33 1967 LeMans test vehicle; Mike Edwards, Ferrari F430 GT; Danny Edwards, Fisher Ferrari 512. Brian Venable DNF Ferrari 250 GT Sperimentale; Bob Cline DNF Ford GT40 (only joined us for part of Saturday).

Next year I'm building "Lucybelle" 1958 Testa Rossa ;)

Models were mostly finished in order:

Danny Edwards: Midnight

Henry Trent: Midnight

Bob Downie: 1AM

Mike Edwards: Sometime between 1-5:30AM

Wayne Webers: 8AM

Henry Trent (model #2): 9AM/checkered flag.

We allow a model to arrive in primer. Parts can be ready for paint. Fun is the most important aspect. Bright sunny weather outside helps as there's only one spray booth and 7 builders; I did all my painting outdoors, and the sun works as a good dehydrator (and we had four inside the garage running until after midnight).

My work area; had wireless internet before the neighbor pulled the cord.

IMG_7269-vi.jpg

Henry Trent working on his Porsche:

IMG_7270-vi.jpg

Henry's C6R, Mike's F430GT, Henry's 962:

IMG_7289-vi.jpg

Danny's yellow Ferrari, my white Ferrari, Wayne's Alfa:

IMG_7290-vi.jpg

Wait. What's this doing here? It's not on sale until June 25th in Japan. Hmmmm...

IMG_7286-vi.jpg

A well deserved rest after finishing first:

IMG_7267-vi.jpg

Mike's imitation of a human burrito, after finishing/before the end of the race:

IMG_7266-vi.jpg

All the finished models:

IMG_7288-vi.jpg

Thanks for the report, Bob. I really like the idea and you guys always pull off some incredibly cool builds. Meanwhile, I was watching parts of the race and playing guitar. No modeling at all. Though I got myself all worked up and I'd just about kill for a reasonably priced kit of the Peugeot 908.

I look forward to the Testa Rossa next year.

that race is always cool. i guess those corvettes were to good for the gt2 series so the get to move up into the gt1 series or is it the other way around? anyway great job on those models, exspeicially since they were done in 24 hours. i don't know if i could have done it :lol:

I was very looking forward to this. Glad to see another good turnout. Seemed like great fun. The race was awsome.

Very nice models, I love all. How could you guys sleep, I pretty much stayed up all 24 hours, I would have if my internet was faster for the live streaming. :D Nice blanket!

I like how you have the DNF's and the "Mike Edwards: Sometime between 1-5:30AM" ;) and ummm about that 370Z? :blink:

I was very looking forward to this. Glad to see another good turnout. Seemed like great fun. The race was awsome.

Very nice models, I love all. How could you guys sleep, I pretty much stayed up all 24 hours, I would have if my internet was faster for the live streaming. :D Nice blanket!

I like how you have the DNF's and the "Mike Edwards: Sometime between 1-5:30AM" ;) and ummm about that 370Z? :blink:

We do a lot of pre-race preparation that helps, we help each other, and we try to pick easy subjects to model!

The reason I have no idea when Mike finished is because he was the only one awake at that time ;) I got up at 5:30AM and shortly thereafter he took over the sleeping duties.

That 370Z... ;)

It's a few hours from being finished. I was just showing it off since it's still unobtanium. To quote Gregg "It's nice to be king" ;)