Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frenched in Antenna

I'm working on an Aoshima toyota truck, trying to duplicate my friends truck that he used to have. He had some frenched in antenna, that I cant really figure out how to do it in scale. I wish someone made an Isuzu truck model, so this thing wouldn't be so difficult to duplicate. It's not going to be real close, just the color and snug top. I've got an S-10 extreme on the way. Maybe I'll hack into that and try to make it instead, but steal the snug from the toyota model.

Here's the truck with the antenna.

GreenIsuzu.jpg

LC

Sean, take some aliminum tubing the size you want the holes to be, drill verticaly straight down into the fender, then epoxy/super glue the tubes into the body. Then, useing straight pins, insert them from the bottom, after you dull the ends, to the position you want them. then glue 'em in position, an viola! Sunken antennas! Maybe one of the guys gotta better way, but this works for me pretty good. Hope it helps somehow. :lol::P

Do you have any closeup shots of the antennas in the fenders?

Unfortunately, this is the only pic I have. I spent alot of time around the truck though, so i'm familiar with what all mods were done to it. Such as the roll pan, shaved handles, the tailgate was shaved and smoothed into the rollpan and bed-sides, and the truck was a full walkthrough.

Here's a picture of what the antennas looked like, except there were two on his truck, and they were coiled antenna. One was longer than the other.

antenna.jpg

Here's a pic of what the tailgate looked like - 100_1102.jpg --- the model still needs alot of work.

LC

Sean, take some aliminum tubing the size you want the holes to be, drill verticaly straight down into the fender, then epoxy/super glue the tubes into the body. Then, useing straight pins, insert them from the bottom, after you dull the ends, to the position you want them. then glue 'em in position, an viola! Sunken antennas! Maybe one of the guys gotta better way, but this works for me pretty good. Hope it helps somehow. :lol::P

I'm thinking something like that might work, but I cant figure out how to get everything smoothed correctly, or how to cut the tube at that kind of an angle so it can be smoothed the right way.

LC

I'm thinking something like that might work, but I cant figure out how to get everything smoothed correctly, or how to cut the tube at that kind of an angle so it can be smoothed the right way.

LC

If you use styrene tube, you can cut the angle and sand it flush with the body after you have glued it. This should work with aluminum tube as well, but will be more difficult to cut.