Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help/ suggestions on rally striping

DSCN1414.jpg

Hi everyone. I came across this forum last week and signed up. I'm just getting back into building after maybe 15 years away from the hobby. My first full project is the 68 Firebird seen above. My question is in regards to trying to paint the rally stripes you see. The pic is my first attempt and it looks like it's got a date with some stripper to start over.

So, I have a couple of ideas and am not sure what the best course of action is. I'm using Testors Boyd Grape Pearl with Silver for the stripes.

I used regular blue painters tape to mask, and it was too thick and allowed too much running under the tape, what is a good masking tape for model use? Something thinner I imagine.

The order I painted before was the purple, masking, then the silver over the top. Would it be a better idea to spray the silver first, then block off where I want the striping and paint the purple?

Is there any kind of silver sticker material, latex? like they use on 1:1 vehicles for striping that I could use and just worry about the single color paint? I thought about using BMF but I don't necessarily want a reflective stripe.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated greatly! Thanks in advance.

Ryan

You should be ok painting those particular stripes. First, use Tamiya tape, its thinner and easier to work with. Then, when you get your stripes taped off, give it a light coat of clear to seal the edges of the tape....this will prevent any bleed-under. Next, paint the silver stripes. I think this will give the results you are looking for. Good luck.

By the way.....welcome to the forum! Good lookin' project you got going there!

Edited by roadhawg

You should be ok painting those particular stripes. First, use Tamiya tape, its thinner and easier to work with. Then, when you get your stripes taped off, give it a light coat of clear to seal the edges of the tape....this will prevent any bleed-under. Next, paint the silver stripes. I think this will give the results you are looking for. Good luck.

Great, thank you so much. I'll get the Tamiya tape and see what I can to. Hopefully I'll have some pic of the new paint soon!

I agree with Tommy and his bug.

I would suggest that it will be easier to shoot a silver base tape off using tamiya tape clear the edges and then spray your body color, quick dry and peel your tape then shoot your clear and set it aside.

An old painters rule of thumb is always shoot the darkest color last...as I shoot tutones and tri colors I have to say that I agree.

Edited by MikeMc

"I agree with Tommy and his bug."

Maybe we should get Tommy a can of Raid?! :D

You know, when I was first browsing last week, prior to signing up, I was reading a post from Tommy and damned if I didn't try to get that bug off my screen for a good minute or so! ;) Fooled me good, but I decided that it's a nice touch to the signature.

When masking, tape the hood in place from the underside and then tape off hood, roof and trunk with the same pieces of tape, this keeps everything lined up from end to end. Get a machinists ruler so you can measure from the edge of the hood/roof/truck to make sure both sides are even.

I am sure Tamiya Tape works, but it's not available to everyone. What I suggest is your local auto parts store. Not some national chain (PepBoys, Auto Zone, etc.) but the real deal type store that sells to auto body shops. Buy some 3M striping tape. I believe they sell it as narrow as 1/8" width. If they tell you that you need to buy a whole package of it, tell them to get real; time to find another store. A reputable jobber will sell by the single roll.

Also beware of lesser quality brands. For example, I have seen masking tapes not made by 3M that are total junk; either won't stick, or sticks so strong it cannot be removed easily. I just say that for an example, do not use masking tape for an edge.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ordered some Tamiya tape on-line so I'll be able to give that a go. I'm definatly going to be more careful and accurate this time, measuring and laying one piece of tape across the length of the body. I've got enamel paint on order for this job but I will keep laquers in mind for the future. I'm going to try spraying the silver first and then blocking out where I want the stripes and laying the purple. This is also the way that stripes were done in the online, april issue of the Mag, so I'm using that as a guide as well. Thanks again everyone, I'll have some results soon.