Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Mercury

MrObsessive

Last time I was on I was working on the engine...............here's the latest so far........

It's always a good idea to have a TON of reference pics for whatever you're trying to build. A good source of pics is eBay Motors and Google.

Generally the more the asking price is for the car, the better the pics will be which should include undercarriage pics as well as interior and trunk pics.

As you can see I have a BUNCH of cars listed on my laptop, and behind each of those folders is a whole lotta pics! ;) What's on the screen right now is a stone stock '49 Mercury which was on eBay recently. The perfect color as the interior is the exact color I want to paint mine in.

P9293331-vi.jpg

Amen, BIll. This, I feel is one of the most important parts of a build. I spent the better part of two days one time trying to figure out how the rear quarter panel and rocker were attached on the '78 and newer El Camino so I could cut in the proper panel lines. Great tutorial.

Edited by Harold

Bill, thanks for doing a build like this! It goes to show that no matter how long we have been building, there are details and things we often miss. I really enjoyed reading up until now and will keep checking back.

BTW....you are most welcome on the foiled scripts tip!

Hey Bill, I have a quick question regarding your use of the polishing cloths...do you sand each grit in the same direction, or do you criss-cross with each successive grit?

Thanks for the tutorial! :angry:

Mark, pretty much in the same direction------although others might do it differently. You also have to be careful around ridges and edges-------it can be very easy to burn through the paint on a car with a windsplit in the roof for instance. I try to sand as close to edges like that without going over them much............I hate repainting!! :blink:

Mark, pretty much in the same direction------although others might do it differently. You also have to be careful around ridges and edges-------it can be very easy to burn through the paint on a car with a windsplit in the roof for instance. I try to sand as close to edges like that without going over them much............I hate repainting!! :)

A trick 1:1 guys use is tape the edge and polish the other side and when done retape and do the other side.

Thanks again, Master. :huh: It's great to see this progress slowly with plenty of tips and tricks, those You consider to be obvious things I guess..

I'm now wondering that waxed roof. Tell me, it looks like it still has some scratches on it (from sanding I guess?). You typed there it'll be ok when it's done. What did You mean, huh, are You going to sand it even more after waxing it? I thought it must me all cleared out first and after all is done to it, then wax on it...

I think I ask stupid questions, but I just were wondering it... :)

I'm going to polish the roof until the scratches/swirls are gone. No, there is NO clear coat on the paint..............one need not clear solid colors due to there being plenty of hardener in the paint (especially Krylon).

Metallic colors you'd want to clearcoat, as it's not a good idea to rub out and polish metallics. That can lead to a swirly and mottled appearance due to the metallic flakes not being evenly suspended in the coats that were applied.

Hey Jeff...........thanks for the compliment! :D

Hi mr.O, i love this tutorial, im learnin alot of stuff!

one question if i may.

How do you get your door lines to look so deep? ive noticed with every model ive ever built its never that dark.

Thanks,Jeff

Why I cut them open! B) Really----sometimes I'll take the back edge of the Exacto blade and deepen them a bit. Another trick is to run some water based acrylic black paint the panel lines, wipe off the excess, and then paint over them.

Marcos Cruz a while back did a model, (can't remember which one though---'69 Charger?) where he shows how he did this very thing.

The door and trunk lines were nice and defined as if they could open like a 1:1.

Hope this helps!

So I was bored when I got home from work this morning and gave it a shot. I don't have a polishing kit so I used 1000,1500 and 2000 wet/dry paper but I used your soapy water and finger waxing method. there are still some very faint swirls but I only polished it for about 30 minutes. Thanks again Bill, I think I may have a whole new method of polishing, and I definately need to invest n a polishing kit for a Christmas gift to myself. Do they wear down over time, whats the average life expectancy?

Phil

Phil, the cloths do wear out over time-----I can't give you an exact time though. One advantage to using the soapy water is that it kinda gives a "cushion" to the surface you're polishing. Also the water keeps the grits from getting clogged with paint.

Except for clearcoats, I like using the water on the cloths to rub out the paint. I tried using the water method with clearcoats but somehow always end up burning through it in spots. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Bill I just wanted to say THANKS. This post has been immensely helpful to all. The most interesting thing for me was the Future tip. Once again, I do a lot of bodywork and as I look over my models from years past...some have even won Best paint....if you look really really close....all of the body work has ghosted back. Since reading your tip I started to research and experiment.....and I love it. I know Future has been around and used in modeling for years but you were the first to show (me anyway) that it can be used as a sealer/barrier. I am currently working on a 67 Impala that I have converted to a 67 Biscayne pro touring (I know how you feel about the pro touring stuff :P ) and I can see the reason and results behind using it this way. And I will say that of all the models I have built I really do feel that this one has the best body work, primer and surface to start applying that smooth and mile deep finish of any model I have built......Thanks again Bro ;)

Greetings Mr. Obssessive, this tutorial has been of great help to me. I have been following this thing since you started and I must thank you for all your help, a lot of my questions have been answered. Mr. Cruz had talked to me about you when I visited him on a business trip to Maryland. Between you and him, I have been able to extract a lot of helpful information, you guys are a blessing to us amateur modelers.

Have you thought about writing a book on this subject? I have seen a share of them over the years but this one is really unique, I think you should consider it. Not only are your modeling skills out of this world, your writing and grammar skills are very good also. Again, thank you for all your help.

Thanks for all the nice words so far guys! :lol:

Updates will be slow these days as I had a torn tendon in my left ankle last weekend and I'm not getting around too well right now. I'll see what I can do this coming week as I'll be off work for awhile-------be a good time to get some more done when the crutches aren't in the way to get from room to room.

Makes me kinda wish I was back in my apartment------kinda tough when you're in a three story house with too many stairs! :lol:

Thanks for all the nice words so far guys! :lol:

Updates will be slow these days as I had a torn tendon in my left ankle last weekend and I'm not getting around too well right now. I'll see what I can do this coming week as I'll be off work for awhile-------be a good time to get some more done when the crutches aren't in the way to get from room to room.

Makes me kinda wish I was back in my apartment------kinda tough when you're in a three story house with too many stairs! :lol:

Oh man, Sorry to hear that! I hope you get to feeling better soon!!!

I know what you mean about crutches and stairs... :D

Greetings Mr. Obssessive, this tutorial has been of great help to me. I have been following this thing since you started and I must thank you for all your help, a lot of my questions have been answered. Mr. Cruz had talked to me about you when I visited him on a business trip to Maryland. Between you and him, I have been able to extract a lot of helpful information, you guys are a blessing to us amateur modelers.

Have you thought about writing a book on this subject? I have seen a share of them over the years but this one is really unique, I think you should consider it. Not only are your modeling skills out of this world, your writing and grammar skills are very good also. Again, thank you for all your help.

Hmmm.............a book huh? I've been asked that before and it's something I had considered a while back. I'll have to revisit that idea again!

Thanks for the compliments about my writing and grammar............I used to have fits when my Mom and Dad would correct me if I said something grammatically incorrect. My Mom particularly was a real stickler about speaking English like one had good sense!

Looking back I can see where she made a lot of sense because it's helped me land jobs when other folks were turned down for that very reason..............not being able to speak and write properly! :lol: