Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 Mustang

Rick Schmidt

started this one the other day ... all of 5 minutes after I received it lol

S7302208.jpg

The 1981 Mustang Cafe Racer ..... in all of its 4 cylinder turboed Muscled glory ...

Ok Before ya decide to kill Me hear me out lol ... in 1981 the Turbo 4 Mustangs made Around 140 HP .... that was more than the v8 of that year and only about 20 HP lower than the Mighty GT of 82 .... Remember we're in the 80s here ...... These little cars could give a GT mustang a good run and if ya add some twisties in the mix ya can kiss the GT goodbye.... So there ya go I'm building a 4 cylinder Mustang with a Turbo and I'm calling her Muscle... hehehe

So far I got the trim done up on her going to leave the body in the nice Monogram yellow. Wish they still knew how to mold em like that. Plan is to leave the car almost as shown on the box Decals and all Only thing I'm not sure about is the grille ... or lack of. Well I need to get on it so updates will come as I go

Monogram kits of this time period are deceptively simple. But when done with care they can end up as great shelf models.

Polish that plastic and I'm sure it will look like a slick paint job. I've been fooled more than once by a good polish on bare plastic.

This is also not a common kit.

Do er proud.

Bob F

yes somewhat simple but I enjoy the simple ones sometimes lol

Not common?? oops...

1st one

S7301822.jpg

2nd one

DSCF5696-vi.jpg

S7301715.jpg

Lol this one is number 3 lol ...... Oh wait I never have cared how common one is when I get an idea for it hehehe

I'll for sure do her proud I love my 4 eye Foxes .... got 2 sittin out back in full scale too hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress on the Mustang, but there aint a lot to show. It's a pretty simple little kit and I'm doing it pretty simple So far here's all that's done. trim is all painted interior is painted and in and I'm currently workin on the motor.... in all it's 4 cyl glory lol

S7302211.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool build. That is one kit I don't remember...will have to find one to add to my collection. I've got all of the other AMT, MPC, Monogram and most of the Revell Foxes. My first 1:1 new car was my '87 Mustang GT (still have it) and also had an '86 LX 2.3 notchback. My older brother has 3 1:1 Foxes--'79 Indy Pace Car (documented as one of the track cars, not a replica), '82 GT, and an '85 GT..

post-3603-1256057481_thumb.jpg bad picture but this is the car I currently have pending. It's an 85 gt 5 speed and plans were to take the knocking 302 out and put a 351 in it. Finish up all mechanical parts, Strip the paint, primer it. Restore the interior and then repaint it... can't decide if I want to go original and even order the hood stripe or just have it painted something different.. won't be an extreme build by any means since I don't have a lot of money to spend working min. wage ;) But I love mustangs and I don't see too many of the 4 eyed ones too often.. I know a guy that has a daily driver one but it's just the base 4 cylinder

I'm actually supposed to find out today if I got the car or not..

B Dub,

the 5 speed 85 GTs were a serious turning point for the Fox Chassis Mustang. Those are the first roller cam 5.0 cars, there aren't alot of them left around - all original cars like my 9L (Oxford White) are VERY rare. They were also the last Mustang built with no 3rd brake light, and a carburetor. I wouldn't do anything to that car you can't restore to original if it were me. They WILL appreciate.

I have 3 full-size 4eye 'Stangs (1983 GLX V6/C5 Vert, 1984GT Turbo/5spd full optioned sunroof car, and a 1986 GT Ttop 5spd car) and I have to say I like the build you have going here, and the finished car in that section. Had I have read this first, I wouldn't have asked the mfgr of the kit. Good job on the build!

• 2 weeks later...
B Dub,

the 5 speed 85 GTs were a serious turning point for the Fox Chassis Mustang. Those are the first roller cam 5.0 cars, there aren't alot of them left around - all original cars like my 9L (Oxford White) are VERY rare. They were also the last Mustang built with no 3rd brake light, and a carburetor. I wouldn't do anything to that car you can't restore to original if it were me. They WILL appreciate.

yeah after riding around in my ex gf's 302 ford/chevy stepside I love the sound of the 302 plus that truck had more than enough power.. I have no need to die.

the problem with that car is the door poppers on it (lost remote but the hatch is unlocked) was planning to get a remote and hiding a button somewhere... and apparently the title was signed by the guy he bought it from and never sent in.. so it was never cleared in his name.. it came down to having him contact the other owner or sending it in.. w/e was needed to clear the title.. I somewhat lost interest and havn't heard anything more about it.. actually I think I'll make a phonecall now..

and I love these models.. I may try to pick one up.. but I reallllly need to work on what I have