Model Cars Magazine Forum

farm truck buildoff idea

Okay. I have this idea rolling around in my head for a while to have a build off for old farm trucks large and small, forgotten wrecks to barn find restored pieces. even a modified car hauler from a grain truck or something. would anybody be interested in such a build off? I will be onverting the amt 1950 chevy pickup into a 2 ton flatbed dump truck. more than likely it will b stock but i do want to bag it with the straight front axle and install stacks and chrome rig rims.

THE RULES

1. Must start with untouched kit or one that is just starting.

2. must be trucks from 1920-1980

3. (Optional)write up a short story about the vehicle(life of truck or found and restored type stories.

4. must be fullsize truck. no minitrucks or imports

5. conversions to larger sized trucks are incouraged.(1/2 ton turned into a 2 ton. or regular truck turned into wrecker.)

6. must post pics of progress

7. the deadline is april 1st. extra time will be allowed.

Edited by oldskoolmini

I will start it when there are a couple more people on board. do think I should do the chevy a stock flatbed or lowered with stacks, chrome rig rims and chrome saddle tanks? i want to do both with one model.

I'd say do what you like best. That's the fun of model building! :) I'm not even sure as to what I'm gonna do yet with the truck, but I like the idea of writing a story to go with it. :D

leaving out "imports" leaves out a few very cool trucks that would work very well as farm trucks, just not maybe farm trucks used in the U.S.

there is the Opel Blitz and the Mercedes L3000 and Uni-Mogs, Volkswagen pick-up and more. i have a family member who has a Volkswagen Rabbit pick-up that is used on his farm quite successfully.

this is the second time i've seen "imports" not included in truck builds here, not sure i understand the thinking as to why to not include them.

Dave

i will allow a couple of exceptions

leaving out "imports" leaves out a few very cool trucks that would work very well as farm trucks, just not maybe farm trucks used in the U.S.

there is the Opel Blitz and the Mercedes L3000 and Uni-Mogs, Volkswagen pick-up and more. i have a family member who has a Volkswagen Rabbit pick-up that is used on his farm quite successfully.

this is the second time i've seen "imports" not included in truck builds here, not sure i understand the thinking as to why to not include them.

Dave

dont know my uncle had 2 samurais and a b2000 and they were great farm trucks, hes a plaintain farmer in PR, he owned a C10 for the longest, no doors windows or headlights they loaded it too much one day it buckled the frame. the b2000 has a strapped frame and solid rear suspension to prevent mishaps again.