Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build off idea... Lee Rilea will do this build off

I have an idea for a build off...

How about building a kit of a factory stock vehicle, the way you would have ordered it new from a dealership. Any vehicle, any year...

For instance, I would love to be able to go back in time and order a 1971 Superbird, with a 426 Hemi, painted red, bucket seats, etc. etc.

The whole idea of the build, and the fun of it would be to research what was available for your favorite car, and adding it to a kit. This would also include such builds as specialty builders like Baldwin/Motion cars, Yenco Chevrolet's, and others.

It would have to be built as direct from the factory, with no add on parts by the owner after the car was delivered...

Let me know what you think. If enough people would like to do this, I'll set a start date, rules, and end date...

Edited by Custom Hearse

The whole idea of the build, and the fun of it would be to research what was available for your favorite car, and adding it to a kit. This would also include such builds as specialty builders like Baldwin/Motion cars, Yenco Chevrolet's, and others.

It would have to be built as direct from the factory, with no add on parts by the owner after the car was delivered...

Interesting idea, but you just contradicted yourself.

Baldwin/Motion and Yenko cars were not "direct from the factory," they were "aftermarket" cars from particular Chevy dealers.

Interesting idea, but you just contradicted yourself.

Baldwin/Motion and Yenko cars were not "direct from the factory," they were "aftermarket" cars from particular Chevy dealers.

Actually, from what I've read, is that the cars were ordered at the dealerships, then the factory shipped the cars to Yenko (which was a dealership), and baldwin/Motion, who finished the order, and then sold the cars to the people who ordered them.

The whole idea is to build it as you would have ordered it...

Edited by Custom Hearse

I guess it's all how you look at it.

Baldwin/Motion and Yenko cars did not come "direct from the factory," they were special orders and the dealership actually added the stuff that made them either "Baldwin/Motion" or "Yenko" cars... GM never built a Baldwin/Motion or Yenko car, they were "dealer specials."

But no matter... it's your build-off and you get to make the rules! :D

I have an idea for a build off...

How about building a kit of a factory stock vehicle, the way you would have ordered it new from a dealership. Any vehicle, any year...

For instance, I would love to be able to go back in time and order a 1971 Superbird, with a 426 Hemi, painted red, bucket seats, etc. etc.

Let me know what you think. If enough people would like to do this, I'll set a start date, rules, and end date...

Sounds good. I'm in.

Count me in, but please make the end date as far out as possible.

Glad to have you on board... Would tomorrow be too soon for an end date? :angry:

Seriously though I'm thinking a year would work. That would give everybody time to pick a vehicle, and research what options they would like to have on it.

I'm slightly confused. What exactly do you mean by ordering from the factory? Special color combinations, wheels, factory made kit's, engine upgrades anything that the factory offers? Nothing tuner wise or like what we see on Unique Whips?

I'm not all that familiar with factory stuff to tell you the truth since I'm more into the tuner scene.

I guess a "what if" is out of the question? I have two old projects, Jo-Han. First one is a '69½ Road Runner - '70 Superbird body with '69 RR front clip. The other one is made up of the leftovers.... so it's a '69½ Superbird - '69 RR body with Superbird front clip. I see them as factory test beds, one-offs. I need to finish them anyway..... :angry:

I figured out what vehicle I'm gonna do, a 1978 Dodge D150 Little Red Exspress

COOL!

I'm slightly confused. What exactly do you mean by ordering from the factory? Special color combinations, wheels, factory made kit's, engine upgrades anything that the factory offers? Nothing tuner wise or like what we see on Unique Whips?

I'm not all that familiar with factory stuff to tell you the truth since I'm more into the tuner scene.

If it came from the factory with a turbo, it would be allowed... If not nope. If you walked into a Honda dealership and ordered a brand new car, and the dealer handed you an options list with special options like different wheels, turbo, body cladding, custom interior, and a custom paint job, that would be allowed.

The main idea here is to research and find out what options were, or in your case since you want to do a newer car, are, and build it as if you ordered it. The fun part is figuring out what parts you would add to the car that came from the factory, and to do that, you go online and find what options you could actually get. In your case, you could build it as if you went to Japan, and ordered a car that was not allowed to be sold in America. One of the rules is that you have to document what you added to it was available from the factory, With a link, or a copy of the options list from a dealership.

I guess a "what if" is out of the question? I have two old projects, Jo-Han. First one is a '69½ Road Runner - '70 Superbird body with '69 RR front clip. The other one is made up of the leftovers.... so it's a '69½ Superbird - '69 RR body with Superbird front clip. I see them as factory test beds, one-offs. I need to finish them anyway..... :P

Actually that would be a good build off also! I built a '71 Superbird that that would have been good for. Maybe you ought to start a build off like that!

I'll probly be in, I like building factory stuff anyways. I'm going to enter a 1999 silverado. I've got dealer brochers of the truck from 1999 so I got all the information needed! This is going to be a good build off.

You'll definitely have a head start on everyone! That sounds great!

Not cool, I'm done with this build, I'm taking my LRE else were.

That's fine with me... If you want to blame me for your problems, that's also fine.

you posted that you got tired of people giving you a generic "That's nice" and "Looks good" answers to your posts. What do you want... People to get on their knees and bow to you? If so, you have a lot to learn.

All I, and everyone else did was try to help you out with information, and you acted like an immature, self righteous child. If that is the way you're going to act, you are not going to have too many friends here.

And on that note, I'm putting you on ignore...

Ok, well, most of the same rules apply, except I wont require you to post documentation. I want to roll my other build idea, doing a replica of a exact vehicle into this build as well. What I do want, however, is photos of the real deal, including any options or parts as you post pics of the in process builds. Also , post a pic in the beginning of the vehicle you plan on building. I hope this makes sense. We can start now, and have a year to build.

Ok, well, most of the same rules apply, except I wont require you to post documentation. I want to roll my other build idea, doing a replica of a exact vehicle into this build as well. What I do want, however, is photos of the real deal, including any options or parts as you post pics of the in process builds. Also , post a pic in the beginning of the vehicle you plan on building. I hope this makes sense. We can start now, and have a year to build.

Lee...

It would probably be a good idea to move this to the "workbench" section. I didn't move it there yet.