Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lesson learned on removing 40 yr old paint

gus220

Thanks for all the replies to previous post, I went out and got some super clean, came home found an aluminum bread pan that my wife had bought in the kitchen, went downstairs pored in the super clean put the body of a 1959 Bonneville in it. Went upstairs to watch some tv. After about 2 hours went back downstairs to see if there was any progress, and to my surprize their was, the soappy substance ate the botom out of the aluminum pan and all the liquid was all over me bench, and the body was sitting there with loose paint all over it. Well, needless to say after I cleaned up my mess I found something a little more durable (a plastic lunch cooler).I put the body back into its bath and went to bed, I came down this morning to find the body completly clean with very little scrubing and warm water. Now all I have to do is get the very little amount of glue off the rear 1/4's where I had put some skirts on years earlier. Thanks again gang.

Thanks for all the replies to previous post, I went out and got some super clean, came home found an aluminum bread pan that my wife had bought in the kitchen, went downstairs pored in the super clean put the body of a 1959 Bonneville in it. Went upstairs to watch some tv. After about 2 hours went back downstairs to see if there was any progress, and to my surprize their was, the soappy substance ate the botom out of the aluminum pan and all the liquid was all over me bench, and the body was sitting there with loose paint all over it. Well, needless to say after I cleaned up my mess I found something a little more durable (a plastic lunch cooler).I put the body back into its bath and went to bed, I came down this morning to find the body completly clean with very little scrubing and warm water. Now all I have to do is get the very little amount of glue off the rear 1/4's where I had put some skirts on years earlier. Thanks again gang.

Your Welcome. Glad we could help you!

CHEERS!

Your Welcome. Glad we could help you!

CHEERS!

I wouldn't have thought that CSC would eat aluminum, but I've seen it do nasty things to aluminum engine parts. I'm sorry you lost your CSC, they don't give that stuff away. Mine is starting to show signs of weakness after 6 months and 10 bodies and numerous other parts. I'll keep using it for awhile. Some bodies have been in it 3 times without ill effect.

Next time I may try Simple Green. Its cheaper and not so nasty on the hands.

Gary

Purple Power is the all-purpose cleaner. Somebody ought to tell Obama, and we could spray it on the Taliban. Since it's re-usable, it's very cheap over time.

I sometimes augment it with a brass brush to get paint out of the nooks and crannies.

In addition to removing paint and chrome from styrene, I use it for:

• Scrubbing bodies before painting (mixed into water, of course).
  • Cleaning paint bottles and caps for re-use.
  • Cleaning paint brushes and airbrush parts.
  • Cleaning oil paint stains from my artist wife's painting clothes.
  • Other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Be interesting to hear about other uses.

One of the ingredients of CSC is Sodium Hydroxide, which is the chemical name for ordinary household lye, also the active ingredient in most drain cleaners and oven cleaners. Sodium Hydroxide is death on aluminum, dissolves it very quickly, which is why what happened to you happened.

Art