Model Cars Magazine Forum

"new" Revell 36 Ford convertible

randx0

here are some pictures of the new revell 36 ford it looks mostly like the old kit with some extra pieces it has been awhile since I built this model but I don't remember the the stock hood louvers being open but they are now .on to the pictures.....

007-4.jpg

009-1.jpg

017.jpg

016-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

let me know if you need more or have a question.

Not the same wheels, but the same whitewall-insert tires that were in the most recent issue of the '50 Ford pickup and a number of other Revell '50s kits. To my eye, they look way too puny for the '36 _ which is 1/24 scale, unlike the other kits these tires have been used in, which are 1/25. These tires are direct replacements for the old Monogram whitewall-insert tires, so your best bet probably would be to grab a set of those from somewhere.

Years ago Stevens sold packages of tires, including the old Monogram whitewall insert tires. I bought several sets. I knew I'd need them sometime :blink:

I see your point on getting at the "package shelf" with paint. Yeah, this one sounds a little tricky. If I was building this kit as the coupe I'd paint that area first, mask it off, then attach the top and paint the body as a unit, just as if it had been molded that way...then simply remove the tape from the shelf area. Trying to glue the finished painted top to the finished painted body sounds like trouble just waiting to happen!

That thought occurred to me as well, and I actually don't think there'd be any need to mask off the package shelf after painting. I believe one could simply paint that area, attach the roof, deal with any imperfections, then paint the body as a unit.

Depends on whether that area would be sheetmetal (body color) or an interior panel of some sort (I wasn't sure)...

But either way, gluing the roof to the body and treating it as one unit seems to be the better way to go (instead of following the instructions... but hey, who does that anyway? :blink: )

This is one of those old Monogram kits I wish they'd restore all the way back to stock (originally it offered stock along w/all the other variants).

Or an enterprising aftermarket firm could offer up the stock parts that are missing from the newer issues. They were pretty neat kits for the '60's, molded in very nice colored plastic.

Depends on whether that area would be sheetmetal (body color) or an interior panel of some sort (I wasn't sure)...

But either way, gluing the roof to the body and treating it as one unit seems to be the better way to go (instead of following the instructions... but hey, who does that anyway? :D )

Instructions?,,,,WE don't need no stinking instructions!

uh oh now how do we fit these itty bitty pedals in? Oh well you can't see them anyway, unless you look real close & if anyone is that close I'LL JUST SPILL SOME COKE ON'EM. THAT SHOULD TEACH'EM NOT TO NIT PICK!

Edited by horsepower

The '37 Ford kit is 1/24 scale, just like the '36. My best guess is that could be adapted to the '36 with a bit of work.

Personally, I agree with Dave Z. _ I like the '36's simplified chassis because it enables the builder to devote more time to the more visual aspects of the model, such as the stance. However, if you want to build a more modern rod or just want a more detailed chassis, I'd definitely think the one from the '37 would be the way to go.

Kitbashing the body, fenders and Torque Thrust D/tire combo from the '36 with the chassis and FI-equipped SBC from the latest (coupe) issue of the '37 could definitely produce some cool results, IMO.

:D

I thought the '37 coupe was 1/25th scale, am I wrong as usual? It could be these new drugs they gave me after the elbow surgery last Thurs. that's my excuse for any typo's, the hunt & peck don't work to well for me. I peck to fast with not enough huntin' first

Edited by horsepower

Thanx for the pix Randy. Something I wonder,after seeing the pix of the chassis,is if the chassis from the '37 Ford street rod version would work under this kit? I can't remember the scale of the '37 off hand,so I don't know if that would be an issue or not. Anyone know?

The frames interchange. They are both 24th scale and the wheels bases are the same. I used '37 parts on a Monogram '36 several years ago.

cars4002vi-vi.jpg

:rolleyes: This model is so old, it was actually photographed using FILM.

here are some pictures of the new revell 36 ford it looks mostly like the old kit with some extra pieces it has been awhile since I built this model but I don't remember the the stock hood louvers being open but they are now .on to the pictures.....

007-4.jpg

009-1.jpg

017.jpg

016-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

let me know if you need more or have a question.

Can anyone tell me if the top is chopped on this kit? The picture on the box looks as if the top is stock, but the pictures of the kit layed out seems to indicate it is chopped. If I'm not mistaken I think it was originaly chopped. B)

38 Crush

Randy,does the box have a pic of the street rod version? I would appreciate that view if there is one.

that is the street rod version on the front.the only difference are the wheels which are more contemporary I will post pics later.

Thanx for the extra pix Randy. I appreciate it. I'm still kinda undecided on whether to buy it or not. I have the AMT '36 Ford,but I've never taken the seal off of it.

you are welcome.

well the amt kit builds up like their 40 fords if you have built those ,and this revell kit is simple but it turns out nice .the one I built back in 88 or so I painted the body testors chrome (looked like silver) and the fenders flat black I then used the rims and tires from the uno buick it was my first use of a wash on those wheels .for the time and my skill level I thought it turned out sweet which is mostly why I bought this one . the other reason being the new parts. some times combining two kits that are 1/25 and 1/24 can yeild some cool proportions .I guess what I'm saying is this is a decent kit worth buying if you like the subject matter.

Edited by randx0

if that kit has nice opened up louvers, i would buy it to graft those onto something else!

do you have a photo of them by any chance, on the hood sides?

edit: oh i see the hood pieces now. many thanks!

Edited by jbwelda

• 2 weeks later...

Given all the revell fords with separate frames and etc, not to mention much better flatheads, I would have liked to see them used in this kit. I am thinking revell forty ford-48. As frames and running gear are basically the same. I know that the revell 48 fords have a much better flathead. I am thinking of these as I still want to retain late40's-early 50's feel

Given all the revell fords with separate frames and etc, not to mention much better flatheads, I would have liked to see them used in this kit. I am thinking revell forty ford-48. As frames and running gear are basically the same. I know that the revell 48 fords have a much better flathead. I am thinking of these as I still want to retain late40's-early 50's feel

'35 -'40 Ford frames were the same. 1941 and later Fords were entirely different, wider, longer wheelbase, etc.

This '36 Ford kit ( except the newly added parts) goes back about 45 years to the Monogram 6 in 1 flat boxes. Revell is not going to throw 25th scale parts from other tooling into a 24th scale kit.

• 4 weeks later...