Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 part putty question

2 part putty is a lot like bottles of superglue. They always dry out before you will use them.

Body shops go through the putty quickly. It takes us years to go through a container. You might have success at putting it into smaller, sealed containers. Or not?

I've thrown away countless bottles of superglue and probably a half dozen less-than-half-used containers of putty that dried up.

The upside? You can now get a smallish tube of 2-part Bondo glazing putty at Pep Boys (looks like the same type/size as the tube of air dry stuff, but has catalyst, it's in a similar hang-tag type of package), about 7 or 8 bucks, much more likely to be able to use it up before it goes bad than a larger container.

The smaller tube of Bondo is a good idea.

Also, if you're talking about the traditional can of Bondo, try storing the can inside a slightly larger, airtight container... like a piece of Tupperware or similar. And make sure the lid on the can itself is tightly closed.

I've never used the putty seen above before, I usually use Evercoat 2 part putty, But I thought I would try the Bondo brand this time. Never had a problem with it ever.

I've used EVERCOAT RAGE for ten years or more. Tried Bondo once, but it finished so badly I threw it away.

Here's what I use to "REFRESH" my Evercoat fillers. It's nothing but pure resin in a quart can.

2009_1029Photobucket10037.jpg

Anywhere resin can be purchased, like at a craft or plastics store, you can find some.

Doesn't have to be this brand, as long as it's resin. It may be called "Casting Resin".

Thanks Dave! I never knew that existed. I'll have to find some... Then I'll have to bug you about how to mix it! :lol:

Thanks again Dave!

NO PROBLEM MARSHALL - IT'S EASY TA MIX :rolleyes:

Ya just keep adding the "REFRESHER" to your filler until it's about the consistancy you want, take a bit out of the container, add a bit of catalyst, mix, and your ready to spread.

Most brands "Set-up" faster than others, so I'd do several very small batches to see how much hardener to add, and how fast it sets up.

Been usin' mine so long that it's like "Ridin' a bike" ;) , ya "just do it" :lol: .

Marshall can you give a report on how that bondo works for you I generally stay away from bondo but lately I can't find evercote anywhere.

I've used EVERCOAT RAGE for ten years or more. Tried Bondo once, but it finished so badly I threw it away.

Here's what I use to "REFRESH" my Evercoat fillers. It's nothing but pure resin in a quart can.

2009_1029Photobucket10037.jpg

Anywhere resin can be purchased, like at a craft or plastics store, you can find some.

Doesn't have to be this brand, as long as it's resin. It may be called "Casting Resin".

Gee Whiz Dave everytime I think you have run out of tips BLAM you lay down the most useful info ever. I never even thought about using resin for thinning out body filler .one of my biggest problems with that two part stuff is it comes out a little too thick for me to do what I'm accustomed to.

Edited by randx0