Model Cars Magazine Forum

general club questions

Not sure if you mean "club" as in using this forum as an online 24/7 kind of club, or joining or forming a club in your area. From my perspective, a club really is a great way to meet other builders in your area to share techniques and make friendships that can last years/decades. I've been involved w/my local club that's seen several big changes over the years, made many great friends, and we have a blast putting on our show every year. Definitely benefits to that! The best thing is when someone new shows up and then before you know it they've become some of the best builders in the club; seeing other models and striking up friendships w/the others opens so many doors and their models really show the progression, which is sometimes amazing in a short amount of time.

Yet there are always some builders that show up out of the blue w/amazing work that they accomplish all on their own, and they don't really seek involvement w/other builders, it's just their own personal artistic expression.

I have been a member of "Scale Auto Builders Association (Inc)" since 1982, or so it says on my name badge. Bob Paeth was the President then ... (I think), my memory is not what it used to be.

Anyway, the club did more to increase my technical experience and talents in modeling than anything else I could have done! The chance to bounce ideas off other modelers heads, learn tips for painting and detailing... Watch what others were building. It was a fantastic time for me. I would drive home with soooo many ideas and inspirations in my head that it was almost impossible to go to sleep that night with out spending an hour at the "bench". I would have to say that my association with SABA was without a doubt the major reason I managed to do so well at the 1986 GSLMCC. (look it up)

Clubs are also great for trading kits, generating money for local shows and holding building seminars for the public. The latter is important as it usually generates new members for the club.

Yes, MCM forums have a lot of those traits and is a good thing for builders who have no club association. But there is something special about building a face-to-face bond of friendship with others of like beliefs and values that gets lost here.

You really cannot have those bonds with the impersonal connection of the computer... which is why Gregg and I choose to make everyone post his or her real name. At least now you can say that you know someone at least indirectly when you run into... say, “Biscuitbuilder†or “MrObsessive†at one of the shows.

Bob, meeting night Sunday! Don’t forget!

Joining the TNMCC was the best thing I ever did. I have no doubt in my mind that if I had not done that, I would no longer even BE a model builder! The guys in the club are more like family then most of my blood family! I would rather they WERE family then some of my blood family!

Everything I've ever accomplished modelbuilding is because of them. I've learned about a million things and made some friends that I have no doubt will last the rest of my life.

And I've only been there since 2002!

If you can find a local club, I suggest joining it, or at least visiting. Model Cars usually has near the back of each issue a club contact list, maybe something that isn't 4 hours exists. It's really the best thing I've ever done!

http://www.tnmcc.com