Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1967 GTO kit

vintageiron

• 1 month later...

I bought a Revell 66 GTO to go along with this kit. I thought I was going to use the 67 body on the 66 chassis with other Revell parts. It turns out that this is even more complicated then I thought. I need the 66s radiator support and the top cover that's molded to the body. I thought about grafting the rear of the 67 to the 66 but this might not look right either...

Off topic; the Revell 69 GTO kit comes with bumpers to make a 68 but everyone says the dash is wrong. Yes it is, but the whole panel lining is wrong too. I may be working on a resin fix for that.

Anyway, any ideas of the 67 kit?

Oh and P.S. some of us 'younger' folks like car about these cars too and know quite a bit about them. Otherwise I wouldn’t be going through the trouble of making a 'correct' 67 GTO, right?

• 3 months later...

I'm bringing this topic back. I haven't had much chance to build any kits for a few months. We have moved into a new place and I still have a lot of things packed up. My fiance is pregnant and I am proud to announce that I will have a new baby girl in July. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to build with everything going on.

After looking over the two kits I like the AMT kit less and the Revell kit more. So how can I convert the Revell 66 GTO to a 67 GTO? The front bumber would be easy to modify in the Revell it, but the tail is completely different on the 66 and 67. I could cut the tails off both and graft the 67 to the Revell kit, but this might prove pretty challenging to get just right...

Other then the tail, the rest of the kit would be pretty simple to change a few things around to get it to look just right, but the interior lines would be wrong...

Also, to get the grille I thought about using mesh or metal window screening for the grille inserts.

Anyway, going back to the tail; Any crafty ideas? Please share.

Anyway, any ideas of the 67 kit?

I can relate to the problems you're having with this beast! The tooling goes all the way back to the original '67 GTO promo, which was a thing of beauty! Things have gone downhill a bit since then!

First, the chassis ,the seats (I think) and at least one tree of parts is straight from the MPC '70 GTO kit, perhaps because someone at some point lost the chassis insert for the '67 A-body.

The proper length of chassis may be found in the later-tool AMT '67 Chevelle, but I don't know if it'll fit easily.

The unplated grille inserts are accurate! Those pieces is used on the promos...

Of the AMT kits you listed, (NICE STASH, BTW!!!) only the 'GTO and the '70 SS454 are done from old tools from the promo era, and I may be wrong about the Chevelle, as I do not have one, prefer the Monogram/Revell. The MoPars were created during the second golden era of the hobby, in the 80s, and are 'borderline magnificent' kits that have made 'good modellers' of many of us who probably weren't all that great before.

Gotta take the poster to task about Round 2, though. The people I talk to there in preparing model stuff for 'real car' mags have shown great energy and ambition. Tom Lowe, while he does wish there to be a profit, is doing a LOT for the hobby after the RC2 laziness/stupidity was mercifully ended. Had he not stepped in those dies mighta been sold for scrap... that's how bad it'd gotten, and no one at the business end cared one whit about our hobby! Count your blessings!

The older product like this GTO kit is lacking in many ways, but modellers are famous for their determination and ability to kick a bad kit in the gonads, wrestle it to the ground, and make it right... right?

Edited by Rick R

Rick,

The 70 SS454 isn't too bad. I can't decide which I like better, the AMT or Revell. The AMT's block looks too small... The Revell kits Air cleaner (at least on this issue) bugs me. But either Chevelle can easily be turned into a beautiful kit.

I'll have to try out the 67 GTO body on the 67 Chevelle chassis. I am curious now.

Yes, the unplated grille inserts are accurate, but I thought they might look much nicer if I could made an actual grille from correct sized mesh. If I can find some that is.

Thanks for the compliment! When I can find them under $10, I jump on the kit.

Oh, the 1970 Charger is horrible... (The Fast & Furious one) I'm a muscle car fanatic and not really into that stuff. I wasn't a fan of those movies. But I loved the Charger in the film so I wanted to build on for my collection. After opening the kit, I think I'm going to just build a Revell Charger and all my own roll cage, blower, and front grille and super detail it with some photo etched parts. I think it'll look cooler then the AMT Charger kit.

I just got this kit in a trade,and Im going to atempt to do this some justice myself,I knewsome parts I was going to have to remake myself which is the norm when it comes to any of the older MPC/AMT kits,but we knew this when we buy them or trade for them.<BR>Just trust in your skills and make the best at we have cause who knows with the way&nbsp;things have been going.

Edited by riknight1972

i put the center section of the MPC '67 in between the front and rear clips off the MonkeeMobile... used the '67 tub and the biggest tires i could rationalize for a "street" car... albeit one that scales out around 21 feet long! i can't take credit for the idea, though, i saw one over on Show Rods.

Sure, the tool for this 44 year old model is very tired. Follow Mark Taylor's Back Two Basics thread when building this kit and you will be suprised what comes out.

If you really want to build a "nicer" 1967 GTO, look to Ebay for a nice annual builder. I bought one recently for $15 and once I stripped the paint from it, it was apparent how much nicer the original castings are. Personally, I prefer these old kits and the personal challenge required to make them nice. They are a great way to expand and polish your building skills.

Also, the "correct" front bucket seats are available from Modelhaus.

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

personally imnot worried about the whole "its gotta be perfect or the right number of ribets thing"as to where I like are all the parts there and how close is close with out me sweating it.

I don't build for shows or add every little thing that needs to be, as to I build for pure enjoyment and Im going to enjoy this kit,My main concern and I voiced a while back in another thread in the rants and rave section is if your going to release a older mold please spend the time to clean it up so what we hope it is in the kit is there for us to enjoy

Yeah, this kit's a bit crude, but it can be built into quite a presentable model. And it's quite a bit better than the MPC '72 GTO (shudder)!

I built this 1971 from the AMT ex-MPC 1972 GTO.

100_1144-vi.jpg

100_1146-vi.jpg

100_1147-vi.jpg

100_1148-vi.jpg

I built this one as a curbside with a Reliable Resin 1971 GTO transkit and rear spoiler. Painted HOK Ultra Orange Pearl with Tamiya Clear and Keith Marks decals. Aoshima wheel and tires. Just takes a little more work than a paint and glue Revell kit. Follow along with Mark Taylor's Back To Basics thread for more tips.

it was apparent how much nicer the original castings are. Personally, I prefer these old kits

I know what you're talking about Marc, close to 10 years ago I was able to buy a mint Airfix '67 GTO, which was no more then a re-boxed Mpc annual for the UK market and was amazed on how much nicer and crispier it was, compared to the last shots which came from that tired tool.

67modelairfix01.jpg

more photo's of this kit on the Ultimate GTO website

Luc

Its funny I just noticed this,RC2 was in such a rush to put this kit back out they didn't even spell check the word PONTIAC at the top of the sheet as mine say's 1967 Pontica GTO.

Also does anyone have a good engine bay shot of there finished one so I can see were to place the firewall??

Edited by riknight1972