Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Oldsmobile Ragtop kit

Mark Box (421sd)

Welcome to our place, Mark. You should check out the "New Kit Reviews" link and check out all the info and photos on the kit. Here is a link:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24697

Guess I got so excited about the new release, I failed to think............I went to the new kit review link and checked it out right after I posted.........anybody thought about AMT's '66 Olds 442 convertible kit? It comes with an uptop.

The Olds 400 and 455 are the same block, so that problem is solved. In any event, the diffrence between a small and big-block Olds was only the deck height, and in 1/25, it's invisible once a finished engine is in the car.

I believe Drag City was also offering a 68-72 A-body up-top, I'm not sure if he is any longer, but if Ed still has the master, he might be willing to pop one for you. Actually, given the projected popularity of this model, I wouldn't be surprised if it went back into production as a regular offering.

Charlie Larkin

The '66 Olds convertible top while it's the same scale, might not fit so well unless you're willing to do some tweaking to it to match the 1:1. GM changed the top shape somewhat for the '68-'72's to be a bit "bulkier" looking, as opposed to the slimmer profile up-top look of the 1966-67's.

I have one of the resin tops (don't remember who made it) and it will NOT fit the upcoming Olds kit. :) I test fit it against an AMT '69 Chevelle convertible (same basic body shell), and the top is both too wide and too long. I think the top is actually a 1/24 as it looks to scale out at that.

Sorry to be such a killjoy, but that's how I see it from my end. :blink:

Hi Mark, welcome ! you will find a bunch of very helpful nice people here,i joined back in november so im kind-of a greenhorn too. these guys are great,and becoming great friends. they all share the love of the hobby so if you do your in the right place. they all come from different walks of life and all are willing to share tips,info,advise,ect. great to meet you!..........mark