Model Cars Magazine Forum

Evergreen plastics has any shape that you could ever want or need. Flat sheets, plain and patterned, rods, tubes, "I" channels, "U" channnels, 1/4 round and 1/2 round to name a few of the various shapes. If you want an ecomomical source for sheet styrene look for a tub surround that is damaged at your local "big box" store or make friends with a bathroom remodeler. He tears out old surrounds made of styrene and throws them away. Usually these surrounds are the same thickness as model car bodies. If you need very thin styrene, be selective on the cookies you buy. Many come in styrene trays. If you want short pieces of styrene in the shape of a rod, buy a package of "Q-tips". These are just some of the sources for styrene. If you have a "plastics store" in your area, like I do, you can buy styrene in 4 X 8 ft. sheets in just about any guage you need. They also carry clear plastic rods that make excellent headlite lenses.

Bob :shock:

Another NEW B question for you gods and guru's.

Can styrene sheets and rods be picked up at local hobby stores or do you have to order it through catalogs?

Also, any suggestions on what sizes to get for 1/24 and 1/25 scales for door jambs and roll cages?

Most hobby shops should have a decent selection of styrene, if not most online stores such as Tower Hobbies carry it. I recommend picking up all different shapes and sizes, trust me you'll find uses :wink:

Most roll cages in real life are built with 1 5/8" tubing. That makes 1/16" the closest and most accurate size. At first glance it may seem skinny but once the cage takes shape its perfect. For support bars such as "x" braces, 3/64" and lower are the most accurate.

Hope that helps!

get acquainted with your local autozone staff; a/z uses large styrene placards on the endcaps of their gondolas and they change them out every 60-90 days. it's good thick stock and is screen printed, meaning you either have to sand off or scrape off print, but only one side. they chuck them out; don't save or recycle the stuff. you can't beat free styrene sheet.

Hobby shops and train shops.

You can order online from Tower Hobbies,Rpp hobby etc....

Plastruct will sell direct I think and maybe Evergreen does?

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

http://www.plastruct.com/

Evergreen has a cool scale conversion chart you can print out.

I use mostly .060 and .080" rod for my cages.

Roughly .040" = 1' scale for 1/25 and 1/24 ?

You can buy the catalogs or download them.

Sheet styrene comes in assortments and many styles and colors.

Good luck.

Doug R

My method is to use a conversion program such as this one to find the metric equivalent and order them by the MM. Since 1mm=1" in 1/25 scale it's close enough for me and easy to calculate without fractions and other archaic voodoo measuring. 1.5" tubing requires 1.5mm rod, a 3" framerail needs 3mm square... you get the idea. Keep a metric ruler handy.

What calculates "correct" in scale sometimes doesn't look "right", so some experimenting is in order. For example a 1.6" rollcage/header tube (1/16" Evergreen, which is also 1.6mm or .062") may look too small on the model, so a 2mm tube may work better. Basically, don't sweat the measurements and use what looks right to you.