Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 manual transmission

Hey oh great ones with tons of knowledge of 1/16 scale kits,

Can anyone guide me to a kit that might have one of these. I am very unfamiliar with this scale and don't have any kits or knowledge of what kits had what combos.

Thanks,

David

also, if you know of a resin caster that has one, that's okay too.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I want to say the MPC/AMT '63 Corvette kit has a Muncie 4-speed in it...

Maybe the MPC/AMT Shelby427 Cobra does?

I know neither of the Revell 1/16th '34 Ford rod kits have a manual trans, but the auto (TH350 maybe?) they have is not too shabby.

I want to say the MPC/AMT '63 Corvette kit has a Muncie 4-speed in it...

Maybe the MPC/AMT Shelby427 Cobra does?

I know neither of the Revell 1/16th '34 Ford rod kits have a manual trans, but the auto (TH350 maybe?) they have is not too shabby.

YUP! THAT DOE'S IT FOR THE TRANNY'S! THE 63 VETTE IS A MUNCIE AND THE 34 COUPE AND PHANTOM HAVE THE AUTO TRANNY'S AND THEY WORK JUST FINE! ALSO THE 1984 VETTE BY MPC HAVE THEM AS STICK SHIFT TOO. :rolleyes:

The AMT '64-1/2 Mustang kit also has a manual trans, though it's probably a 3-speed. Hard to say since it's not all that accurate and lacks any detail other than the side cover.

I'm thinking the AMT '55 CHevy has a manual trans, too. I'll know in a few days for sure...

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics of the Saginaw 4-speed trans which comes behind the SBC in the AMT '55 Chevy Bel Air kit. It has good side cover detail, but overall the trans looks too narrow, the bottom of the main case is too deep, and the tailhousing too stubby. So, not that great, really. bawling.gif

116AMT55chevytrans.jpg

116AMT55chevytrans2.jpg

bothtrans.jpg

Here's the manual trans found in the 1/16th AMT '64-1/2 Mustang kit. Slightly better proportioned with a more defined overall shape compared to the Saginaw trans above:

116AMT64mustangtrans2.jpg

116AMT64mustangtrans1.jpg

Does anybody have pics of any other 1/16th scale manual transmissions?

• 4 weeks later...

TDR has several 1/16th scale products in R&D, including the Muncie fourspeed. Release date is probably not until mid Feb though. If you need more information, contact me off site at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

Rick, you didn't mention that the Muncie can be had with a SBC bell-housing or one with a TDR 426 Hemi bell-housing. I'll be needing one in 1/6th scale for my Hemi/Willys build soon. We also have a 727 auto for the Hemi.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

• 2 months later...

The MPC/AMT Shebly Cobra 427 does have a 4-speed trans, but it's so generic it's hardly worth using IMHO.

I believe this trans/engine is from either the Revell 1/16 Camaro Berlinetta or Firebird SE kit, as the 4-speed was only available in 3rd gen Camaros in '82, but Revell could've kept th engine the same when the re-tooled the kit into and IROC-Z later in the '80s:

camaro4speed.jpg

camaro4speed2.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's a great stating point for a Saginaw/Muncie 4-speed if that's what you're after.