Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Flying Frying Pan

Rider

About a year ago this started out as a Fujimi 240z Fairlady that was going to be turned into an SCCA racer. I had fitted a 1/20 Ferrari F1 engine into it. Surprisingly the engine was the same length as the in-line 6 that came in the kit.

Any way it turnd into a failed kit and was boxed.

I pulled it out to build into a wacky racer. It started out with 1/12 F1 front wheels/tire for rear wheels/tires and normal 1/24 wheels/tires for the front. I wasn't happy with the look and scraped the idea. I have since turned my build plan into a mini 4x4 monster.

ddc3-1.jpg

ddc4-1.jpg

These are the kits that I have started with for my idea. I'll only be using one of the engines out of the Tom McEwen kit.

BoxArt.jpg

Updates at 11:00.

Edited by Plastic Freak

This is the pile of parts I'm starting with.

Buildparts.jpg

Next I decided to cast my own wheel/tires from peicing together rims and hubs from a combination of the F1 wheel/tire and some tread from the monster truck tire.

reartires.jpg

masterset.jpg

After the first casting it looked as though I was making good progrerss. Further proding found a huge air pocket in the side wall. Since the materials I cureently have for casting are not very good i decided to scrap the casting idea.

cast1.jpg

I'm going to build my own rear tires.

After thinking about going out and buying some quality molding/castig material I figured I could save a feww hundred dollars and just "build" the tires myself.

So this is what I did; Cutting the centre 1/3 section out of the tire and a good chunk out of the dia of what was left of the outter edges I CA glued them back together. I think they'll turn out fine once I figure out what material to use to fill in the gaps.

The bigger one is the uncut kit tire.

tirescomp2.jpg

tirescomp1.jpg

Next I sort out the chassi and drive train.

Edited by Plastic Freak

This thing is going to be flat nuts! Neat casting idea too. Oh I like your avatar pic I saw that same car in the Seattle Roadster show a couple years back.

Thanks.

I would love to see that car for real, how tall are those rear tires? They look like 33"s .

Ok so now that I have the tires on the way to being settled I'll turn my attention to the drive train.

I've always been a fan of the CVT power transfer system ever since I spent a few seasons wrenching on drag and snowcross sleds. These systems always have the motor at it's peak power and don't have the issue of rpm drop between shifts that a normal tranny does.

That being said I thought I'd have a go with that "system" on this build. So I'm making my own case for one of these bad boys. Given how big this rig would be if it was 1:1 I tired to scale as best I could what the actual size might need to be for the primary and secondary clutches. Overall the case would stand a wopping 37" tall and the big end would be 21"dia.

I didn't want to build the case completely from scratch so I pieced it together using axle parts from a monster truck. I used the steering knuckles as the primary end of the case and the planitary hubs for the secondary end. Then used styrene sheet to enclose the case. The planitary hub had to be cut from the outter hub and repositioned inward.

I then shimmed the hubs so as to be a tight fit into the hub. The case looks vertually the same front and back.

I still need to do the cometics on the case but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I also workout the basics for the suspension and axle placment.

Transferhubs.jpg

transferhubs2-1.jpg

CVTcase.jpg

Next I mocked up the case in the chassi, which is from a sprint car, the engine will be from the Grave Digger kit.

enginechassitrans.jpg

transchassi1.jpg

transchassi2.jpg

Hope ya enjoyed the veiw, more to come real soon.

Killer work so far! I love the chassis. As far as that car goes I'm not sure on the rear tires. I bought a CD/dvd that had more info on all the cars and they gave me the left over from the year before I was so mad but oh well. I just remember that wicked skull and the out of this world exhaust. Oh and that orange was blinding! Keep up on that build its great so far!