Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sectioned 49 Ford wheelwell repair - More Progress

Dave Mikrut

When I followed the old Don Emmons article on how to channel an AMT 49 Ford, I got a little carried away with hogging out the wheelwells.

I've just had this idea in my mind for so long I decided to give it a go whilst wathing the Bears lose again today. I think the fotos are pretty

self explanetory and now I'll let this all dry for a week or so before I start sanding on it. I'm also planning on seeing how the fender skirts

will look on this as well.

newells01.jpg

newells02.jpg

newells03.jpg

newells04.jpg

newells05.jpg

Edited by Dave Mikrut

• 5 months later...

I have gotten numerous comment in addition to this forum that it would be good to see the wheel wells as originally planned from the Don Emmons instruction article. I just wasn't happy

with the way I had done them before. I took my time and they came out a lot better this time, I hope you'll agree. Yes I am going to repaint it the same color because it is very similar to

the color foto in the magazine and it matches my Thunderbird interior. So here's my latest fotos and I'll probably repaint it and assemble it this weekend.

newells09A.jpg

newells09.jpg

newells10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten numerous comment in addition to this forum that it would be good to see the wheel wells as originally planned from the Don Emmons instruction article. I just wasn't happy

with the way I had done them before. I took my time and they came out a lot better this time, I hope you'll agree. Yes I am going to repaint it the same color because it is very similar to

the color foto in the magazine and it matches my Thunderbird interior. So here's my latest fotos and I'll probably repaint it and assemble it this weekend.

newells09A.jpg

newells09.jpg

newells10.jpg

i think you did an exellent job with the quarter panel replacing the piece,,was it a piece out of another 49 ? or some thing else? also the radius looks perfect now,, can i ask,,what did you use ? automotive bondo ? or some thing made for models? thanks in advance