Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What can I use to fabricate headers?

I've tried aluminum tubing, but it's a pain. The next set I try to build will be solid solder. For the flanges, I'd use thin sheet styrene, and for the collectors, I'd use a small piece of tubing with some thin sheet styrene as a collector flange, then wrap a piece of the heavy lead foil that comes around the top of a wine bottle to make the collector look right. I've seen too many sets of scratched headers where the builder tried to cram all the tubes into an oversized piece of tubing, and the collector doesn't look right.

PE flanges are a good option, and I'm a huge fan of the aluminum 'armature wire' from my local Michaels store.

I used aluminum tubing to make collectors on these headers, but they only had 2 pipes per side:

da_bucket-vi.jpg

I'm keen on trying the heatshrink tubing collector idea. I figure you could use these 'bead cones' as collectors as well, by lightly crimping the big end around the pipes going into it, trimming them to length and attaching PE flanges:

DSCN3110_edited-vi.jpg

if you do buy some solder be sure to avoid any acid core as it will come back later to haunt you and make a mess of your model. the rosin core so far has not created any problems for me and i've built alot of headers. solid core would be best, but not that easy to find.

Dave

And if you need further convincing, learn from my mistake! This is what an acid core solder exhaust looks like! :lol: D'oh!

DSC00029-vi.jpg