Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes Benz 500SEC Lorinser OTB

crispy

I really love these old school Benz's. This was one that caught my eye besides my favorite 190E's.

This is painted with Tamiya white primer, Tamiya Pearl White, Tamiya Pearl Clear and Tamiya Clear. I haven't polished it yet and I'm not sure if I want to.

Anyway, it is being built box stock. Not even changing the wheels. I also painted the center of the wheels in flat white.

I'm stumbling on the interior color. The sheet says for a white car it should be black interior. I just don't think that will look right. I'm leaning towards desert sand. Any one have suggestions?

Still have the lower panels and spoiler to add. Lots of little body details. Got to do the window surrounds in black and chrome trim, as well as the emblems.

I'm not really happy with my front grille, but I'll work on it a little more.

Some pictures:

merc8-vi.jpg

merc7-vi.jpg

merc9-vi.jpg

More at

thttp://public.fotki.com/73superduty/my_completed_model/2006_works_in_progress/tamiya-mercedes-ben/

Chris

I think the car looks fantastic Chris! That style of Mercedes always caught my eye and you have done a great job so far on this one. I also think Desert Sand would be a more appropriate color for this car and I think it would set the whole car off as well. Black is too common in my book, ya know?

Keep us posted on this project. It looks fantastic!!!

Thanks Guys! I suspect it will start looking much better once the tiny details are added. I think that is what sets apart a Mercedes from other Luxo cars. They are just an elegant car in my opinion.

I too love the old benz's, especially the 190 E version. Don't know why, but I do.

Chris

• 1 month later...

A little update:

Took some time today and got the body on the Mercedes 500 Lorinser wet sanded and polished. This is my second time polishing, first color was black, so I learned my lesson the hard way. White sure is much more forgiving.

The hood and I had a problem, it hit the cement floor and chipped a chunk of paint off. So, I've already got the "spare" hood primed and wet-sanded. Just need to get it painted and polished.

Anyway, this kit is almost completed. Just stuck in the interior right now.

My results:

merc12-vi.jpg

merc13-vi.jpg

Here is a shot of how it looks with some of the body kit:

merc6-vi.jpg

Chris