Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not Another Blown And Chopped 32!

MikeMc

Correct, a "waste gate" is the mechanism used more commonly on turbo chargers to control the boost level by diverting exhaust gasses away from the turbo, thus regulating the impeller speed. Some people have adapted them to work on centrifugal style superchargers to control the boost level to the manifold.

The part I was referring to on the Potvin setup is the pop-off valve, (also known as a blow-off valve), used to prevent over-pressure of the system when you close the throttle at high RPM. On the Potvin supercharger, it is simply a spring loaded plate.

I used the term "waste gate" because it is a more broadly understood. Good catch!!

I had a '96 Bonneville SSEi with an undersized pulley on the supercharger that Eaton installed for me when they rebuilt the unit at about 100k miles. The only problem that I had with the overdriven supercharger was that when you got into really hard, you could hear the pop-off valve modulating. Unfortunately, the tranny started going south before I got around to upgrading the pop-off valve and I got rid of the car. But, that's another story for a different day...

good deal! just didnt want any younger guys here to read that and be misinformed! i like the term pop-off valve better than blow-off valve... popo-off sounds less dirty to me. sad to hear about the bonneville though. overdriven supercharger sounds aweseom! i got ao guy on my street with an early 2000's camaro with an LS1 swap and an overdriven supercharger... thing sounds NUTS even at idle!

not sure i like where the air scoop sits on the crank driven blower. looks like it would catch a lot of road debris. very cool idea for long, low cars where visibility is already restricted.

Yeah...I had a step-brother back in the early 70s with a really low intake scoop like that on his Harley. I asked him if his bike was a Hoover-Davidson. He didn't think that was very funny...blink.gif

If you think about it though, the shear size and mass of the Potvin was a bigger problem for guys to deal with than any dirt that got pulled into the engine. What a beast!! But, that's what makes it so cool now!!

Later,

Oh yeah...that old Potvin setup is just too cool!!

Were you able to find some good pics of the waste gate and intake detail for that setup? (I can't tell from this pic if you added those details...)

In this pic, those six spring loaded bolts on the right-hand side control the waste gate pop-off pressure.

Wayne-Potvin.jpg

I'm just lovin this intake.....3 deuces in a row

I'm just lovin this intake.....3 deuces in a row

Yeah...the Revell Parts Pack with the Chevy 283 has a Potvin option. That one comes with a Hilborn 4 port injection setup, (similar to the 2 port setup pictured below), but no scoop...It also includes the front mounted fuel pump. What a beast!!

Potvin01-vi.jpg

Later,

im gonna have to go get me one of those 283 parts packs then!

You can find them on eBay for a couple bucks per pack. Here's a couple pics of the Chevy engine.

DSC07133-vi.jpgDSC07134-vi.jpg

There's also a 427 Ford, a 354 Caddy and a 421 Pontiac available in the series. Send me a PM if you want pics of them, too.

Later,

i have a pack of 8 427's in my house somewhere. well, 7 cause one is shoved in a camaro thats been on the backburner. i see an 8-pack of these parts back engines containing 2 of each, ford, chevy, pontiac, caddie, for under $20. im thinkin about nabbing that one real soon.

whats the best way to strip the chrome off?

Edited by moonlite5hadow

Yeah...the Revell Parts Pack with the Chevy 283 has a Potvin option. That one comes with a Hilborn 4 port injection setup, (similar to the 2 port setup pictured below), but no scoop...It also includes the front mounted fuel pump. What a beast!!

Later,

I'm using the AMT/ reissueed stevens and it comes with the 2 port injection no scoop or front pump...and the blower case is different.

i have a pack of 8 427's in my house somewhere. well, 7 cause one is shoved in a camaro thats been on the backburner. i see an 8-pack of these parts back engines containing 2 of each, ford, chevy, pontiac, caddie, for under $20. im thinkin about nabbing that one real soon.

whats the best way to strip the chrome off?

Put the parts in bleach...15 min later they are stripped. If you want the clear coat off...5 min in yellow easy off!

bleach, got it! i was thinking brake fluid since i use that to strip paint! thanks for the info! lets see more if this blown 32!! its making me itch to get mine! haha!

I use household ammonia. That's because I strip the parts in the house and the ammonia won't damage the carpet or my clothes if I spill any of it.

Depending on how well the chrome was applied, the ammonia will typically strip off the chrome in less than 5 minutes.