Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Fia Cobra Csx 2323 Targa Florio

cobrit

Haven't posted in a while, but one of my current pet projects is the buildup of the very nicely cast Scale Coachworks 1/24 FIA Cobra transkit/kit. Based on the longtime classic Monogram/Revell 427 Cobra, the model comes with a curbside baseplate and cast closed hood, so I decided to stay with this concept and execute a curbside replica. I had a jar of MCW Viking Blue lacquer that I used, which is period correct for this build. I also used a set of Racing Miniatures FIA Cobra wheels and tires, and Arrowhead Aluminum brakes and rotors. After prep, paint and clear, I polished it to a very acceptable finish. I used a 289 Cobra dashboard due to the difference in shape from the 427 version, but had to live with the glovebox. Roll bar is evergreen stock gently bent and inserted through the body and into the chassis as original. The down side of the Racing Miniatures wheel set is the fronts are too small, so I have to use two sets. After installing brakes and rotors I'll tackle the interior and windshield. I hope to finish up soon.

Model_FIA_Cobra-vi.jpg

FIA_Cobra2-vi.jpg

FIACobraSF1-vi.jpg

FIACobraBrakes2-vi.jpg

FIA_Cobra_5-vi.jpg

FIA_Cobra1-vi.jpg

_2323_Gurney_Grant_TargaFlorio-vi.jpg

I've been getting a little closer with this project, just gotta be careful and not add the wrong components. The FIA Cobra wheels I had prepped were painted white like the Daytona coupes from 1965...wrong! I've been looking at some historic photos from 1964 and it seems the FIA wheels then were raw unpolished magnesium, so I got another set done up (the rears from two sets actually). I use Testors Metalizer paints for the mag finish. The dash was clear coated and mounted, as was the roll bar and support (Evergreen tubing painted semi-gloss black). The seats were painted Tamiya gloss black, and I have a steering wheel from the latest Revell/Monogram Dragonsnake Cobra almost ready to mount. I'd like to go with an aftermarket steering wheel, but none are handy at the moment. I sure wish Model Car Garage had a photo etch detail set for Cobras, it would make this a whole lot easier.

Reference from several hardcover Shelby and Cobra books, especially 'Cobra, The First 40 Years' by Trevor Legate

FIA_Cobra_-vi.jpg

FIA_Cobra_-vi.jpg

FIA_112010b-vi.jpg

Edited by cobrit

the wheels look awesome, paint is nice too :lol: what are the squared bumps on the trunk lid for?

Dave

THE FIA mandated that the cars be capable of carrying two passengers, a spare tire and a set of luggage. The two humps allow for the luggage over the spare in the trunk

Just finished up the wheels & tires today. I used some old Shabo lettering on the rear wheels & tires from two sets of Harold Bradfords great Racing Miniatures FIA wheels & tires. Set the tires on the car for first time just to see if they fit.

FIA_Wheels-vi.jpg

FIA_Wheels2-vi.jpg

FIA_Wheels3-vi.jpg

• 3 months later...

I was able to do some more work on my projest Dan Gurney/Jerry Grant Targa Florio FIA Cobra roadster. I lightened up the windshield frame and used Bare Metal Foil to cover it. I'm still not convinced it's right, but for now it'll do. I also did some interior work. I was hoping to finish it in time for NNL East, but not this year.

[url=http://public.fotki.com/katmandu/car_models-1/fia-cobra-project/accobra2.html]ACCobra2-vi.jpg