Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motorsport Mustang

Ramcharger

The last build of 2009. Here's a few pictures of my Ford Motorsport IMSA Mustang. It was a difficult build from the decals to the final assembly, this car is not for the faint of heart. I had to rebuild the roll cage after a test fit, and found after several tries that the front of the cage needed trimmed. The decals required setting and softening solution and white glue to get them to conform to the curves. The rear spoiler requires a lot of work to get it smooth. Now that I've learned all of it's foibles, I'll try the Miller Mustang next! Here's the pix!

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

Here's the next in line:

IMG_2330.jpg

More at the link:

IMSA Mustangs

I'm going to pick a couple of those up. I remember when they came out in the 80's. I was sure they'd be tricky kits. Monogram decals of that era are not the best.

Looks like you got around all the kits foibles to create a great finished model. Looks like it's Millah Time!

Bob

nice build!!

i built one a while ago, and, yeah, the decals were, umm, different, some went down fine, some didn't...i used a hairdryer AND solvent.. i 'wired up' the back of the dash, did some seatbelts and paint detail...

don't forget the Trans Am cars.. Whistler Mustang, Folgers, etc... those build up nice also...

Edited by weasel

nice build!! Thanks!

don't forget the Trans Am cars.. Whistler Mustang, Folgers, etc... those build up nice also...

I have all of the road racing Mustang kits, the '85 cars (7-11, Folgers, & Motorcraft) (done) build up real nice same with the '90 cars (Whistler, JPS, & 25th Anniv.) (yet to be built). I have a resin '88 Merkur XR4Ti (Mac Tools)body and I plan to scratch build a '89 Cougar (Stroh's) from a stock body and a '90 Mustang. I have built the resin rear engine Mustang Probe GTP and the front engine GTP cars are after the Miller car. I built Charlie Kemp's Cobra II car from the Testor's curbside kit. As you can tell, I really like road racing Mustangs! I used to sneak into Mid-Ohio Sports cars track and watch them run when I was a kid.

I have all of the road racing Mustang kits, the '85 cars (7-11, Folgers, & Motorcraft) (done) build up real nice same with the '90 cars (Whistler, JPS, & 25th Anniv.) (yet to be built). I have a resin '88 Merkur XR4Ti (Mac Tools)body and I plan to scratch build a '89 Cougar (Stroh's) from a stock body and a '90 Mustang. I have built the resin rear engine Mustang Probe GTP and the front engine GTP cars are after the Miller car. I built Charlie Kemp's Cobra II car from the Testor's curbside kit. As you can tell, I really like road racing Mustangs! I used to sneak into Mid-Ohio Sports cars track and watch them run when I was a kid.

yeah, i'd say your're a Mustang guy!!!

+10 on MidOhio, about 3 1/2hrs up the road from me...

Wow, nice! I have one sitting half-finished...really it just needs painted because I messed up the first attempt. That looks excellent.

I have a resin IMSA Cougar body sitting around that I bought a while ago. Not sure if I'll be able to do anything with it, it's got a broken A-pillar and part of the spoiler is missing. But it's my favorite of all the IMSA cars.

NICE!

Box flares give me goose-bumps! I LOVE 'em!

Is it safe to say EVERYTHING looks better with box flares? Box Flares on a Mopar minivan would even look cool. How about box flares on a Lincoln Continental?! Heck Yea!!!

See, your speaking my language now!! That tupperware would be sweet B)

Yes, I always loved this car, sounds incredible too.....IMSA and Zakspeed, how can you go wrong? :lol:

Edited by Nick F40

IT'S GOOD SOME OF YOU R COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET

....I MEAN THE MUSTANG RACING KITS THAT HAVE BEEN

SITTING COLLECTING DUST SICE 1980'S

I LOVE THEM, AND I HAVE SOME OF THEM BUILT AND IN BOXES.

THIS ONE THE 83 ZAKSPEED I HAVE ONE BUILD AND 3 STILL IN BOXES.

I HAVE THE GTP, THE 7-11 AND THE MOTORCRAFT IN BOXES AND ONE BUILT.

AND THE WHISTLER IS WIP...AND THE 86 MOTORCRAFT, MY FAVORITE SOON

I WILL START BUILDING IT.

LOVE TO SEE MORE OF YOU COME OUT AND START BUILDING THEM.

GOT THE CAMARO HOT WHEEL AND THE C5 CORVETTE THAT EVEN IT IS A CHEVY

THEY R BAD IN MY BOOK.

Picture1538Small.jpg

Picture692Small-1.jpg

AND WHAT I AM WORKING ON RIGHT NOW

DSC07976Small.jpg

Sorry, How old r you? is that you in the avatar?

i am a fan and saw them here in Miami back in the 80's

and when they ran in west palm beach.

Where did you find the Mekur?...will love to build one

Scott Pruett ruled with that car.

pinto engine with a turbo and it kick a.

have lots of referenses on the gtp front engine car after

I build mine, so For sure will do 2.

the motorcraft one, will do it like it sopouse to be

with the right side driver and the turbo on the left.

GO FORD RACING.

WHY THEY STOP MAKING THEM? WHAT A SHAME.

BUT WHEN THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY...

Sorry, How old r you? I guess the term "kid" is misleading, I was in my 20's, fresh out of the service. Let's just say I'm more than twice that now. is that you in the avatar? Yep, Having a ball at a Halloween party!

Where did you find the Mekur? I really don't remember, I've had it for years. It's in a plain white box, so I don't even know who made it. ...will love to build one

Scott Pruett ruled with that car.

pinto engine with a turbo and it kick a.

Nice builds, by the way!

Edited by Ramcharger