Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Body From Tdr Innovations

Some of you have been asking if TDR Innovations will be producing any bodies. Well, today we're introducing "Miss E" and its available in 1/24th, 1/25th, 1/16th and 1/12th scales.

The 1/24th and 1/25th scale kit includes a one piece body, hood, trunk lid, doors and bumper.

BodyMissE4-vi.jpg

The 1/16th and 1/12th kit includes a two piece body, hood, trunk lid, doors and bumper.

BodyMissE2-vi.jpg

These bodies are CAD designed and Rapid Prototype produced. The parts have a slight sand cast finish that is easily smoothed with high build primer and sand paper. The body is well braced to provide strength while sanding and when finished, the braces are easily removed. We designed the body with the doors, hood and trunk lid removed so that you won't have to worry about cutting up the body.

These and other new products can be found on our web site at "www.tdrcatalog.com". For information on these and other products or help with your custom needs, please contact us at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

Some of you have been asking if TDR Innovations will be producing any bodies. Well, today we're introducing "Miss E" and its available in 1/24th, 1/25th, 1/16th and 1/12th scales.

The 1/24th and 1/25th scale kit includes a one piece body, hood, trunk lid, doors and bumper.

BodyMissE4-vi.jpg

The 1/16th and 1/12th kit includes a two piece body, hood, trunk lid, doors and bumper.

BodyMissE2-vi.jpg

These bodies are CAD designed and Rapid Prototype produced. The parts have a slight sand cast finish that is easily smoothed with high build primer and sand paper. The body is well braced to provide strength while sanding and when finished, the braces are easily removed. We designed the body with the doors, hood and trunk lid removed so that you won't have to worry about cutting up the body.

These and other new products can be found on our web site at "www.tdrcatalog.com". For information on these and other products or help with your custom needs, please contact us at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

WOW!! i can't wait to see what you creat in 1/16th scale! you got my attention!! keep them comming brother!! Great work.

I can't wait to see what else you create in 1/16th scale. :) I humbly suggest a BB Chevy w/single 4-bbl intake, exhaust manifolds, a Muncie 4-speed, a also set of American Torque Thrust D wheels.

I am really looking forward to seeing how quickly RP technology takes off, and it looks like the four of you are off to a great start (I just read Gregg's article in the November '09 issue of MCM a few days ago). I'll be honest and say price is going to be my main deterrent from buying, but I know that will decrease in time and as more subjects are available which I'm interested in (especially in 1/16th scale) I know I'll evnetually see something that I am powerless to resist. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice work you guys are doing! I was wondering when rapid-prototyping would be feasible for the model world...

How do you start a new project? With a cad file, or a photo, or a 1:1 to scan? Maybe a scale model to scan? Do tell...

Edited by jeffs396

Good question Jeff. Our products start from a dream, napkin drawings, scale drawings, measurements, photos, 1:1 parts that are measured, CAD files that need to be modified, CAD files that we purchase and etc. Once we have a product in a CAD file, we build it in the computer to make sure everything is accurate and that all the parts fit perfectly. When we are satisfied that the CAD model is correct, we send it to the printer and it spits out the raw product. Before any of our products go to market, they are physically inspected. Multi piece kits are assembled as a final assurance that everything fits properly.

We also have a very select group of modellers who we sometimes ask to test our products for us. They have free reign to criticise what we produce and if they tell us that a change needs to be made, we make it.

Finally, we listen to what modellers want. Some of you wanted a transmission for the Offy, so we've done it. Some of you wanted a BBC and a 392 so we've done.........OOPS! The cats out of the bag..........

Edited by arick

I want a 1/8 Superbird or Daytona, Pocher-lever detail.

I can wait a few days...

Harry, what are we going to do with you?

Would you also like a 1/8th scale figure of Richard Petty to go with it? Maybe even the whole pit crew with accessories is in order.

Could it happen? Depends on the input we get from you guys.

Well seeing as you let some of the cats out of the bag, I would suggest that you do an engine that has never been represented in scale correctly. The Ford SOHC motor. In 25th scale, as long as it wasn't too expensive, I'd buy a dozen right off the bat.

Cap

No Daytona, Superbird! I still want one too.

What I am still questioning is how strong RP is. How brittle is the material, how rough is it? How should we handle it, what kinds of glue do we need? And after everything is assembled, how much pressure can it handle?

I am not talking about squeezing the heck out of it, but can we just lift it up by grabbing it, or do we need to lift it on a base. It might sound stupid, but I honestly have no idea.

All good questions Eric.

IMG_4741-1.jpg

The photo above shows ten full tins of tuna sitting on our Pro Street tubular chassis. Generally speaking, RP products are fairly strong, but like everything in our model building world, they have to be treated with care. One thing about RP products, if there is a break, its very clean so its easily repaired.

When our products come out of the printer they have a fine sand cast like finish. Some folks like the finish, especially on engine blocks because it adds to the realistic rough cast look on a 1:1 piece. For those that prefer a smooth finish, our parts are easily smoothed using high build primer, sandpaper, sanding sticks, small files etc. Depending on how fussy the builder is, it only takes a few passes to reach a very smooth surface. We do not recommend the use of power tools on our products.

We suggest the use of C.A. glue for assembly.

I'm not sure what you mean about handling RP products. I suppose a typical answer would be that they are no different than any other model building product in that we should handle everything with care. The smaller the piece, the more fragile it is.

I hope this helps Eric. If not, throw some more questions/comments and I'll answer them as best as I can.

There are two main drawbacks that keep us from offering RP bodies in 8th scale.

The first is the cost. If you want a good estimate of what it would cost to produce a body in 8th scale just take the 1/16th scale price and multiply it by a factor of 8 and you will be in the starting neighborhood.

Then you have to add onto that the cost of the additional labor to slice the body up into about 6 to 8 parts. This is necessary to get the body parts small enough to fit inside the printer.

Then when the kit arrives at your house you would have to glue the parts all together keep everything aligned and square and then you would have to start finishing out the body.

But we are looking into other avenues to bring 1/8th scale bodies to everybody........it just takes time.

...The photo above shows ten full tins of tuna sitting on our Pro Street tubular chassis...

...I hope this helps Eric. If not, throw some more questions/comments and I'll answer them as best as I can.

That is neat. That eliminated my one reservation about your chassis. I will definitely order one for the Barracuda. Oh man...a 1/8 scale Pro/Street 'cuda with a blown hemi, lenco, and big fat tires. It just doesn't get any better than this.