Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Gt 500 Kr

The Phenom

HI EVERYONE

I WAS DISCONNECTED FOR A LONG TIME BUT IM BACK TO SHARE A FEW OF MY BUILDS IN PROGRESS

WELL I STARTED WITH THIS FANTASTIC MODEL THAT I ADJUSTED A FEW THINGS ON THE SUSPENSION AND CORRECTED THE STANCE AND OTHER THINGS

FIRST

THE MODEL STANCE AND HEIGHT ARE WRONG SO I STARTED ADJUSTING AND TRIMMING THE COIL SPRINGS AND FRONT SUSPENSION BASES TO LOW THE CAR ,SEE THE PICTURE

SANY0030.jpg

AS YOU CAN SEE THE MODEL ON THIS PICTURE HAS THE CORRECT HEIGHT ,ABOUT 53.75" IF YOU ASSEMBLE THE SUSPENSION JUST AS IT COMES,THE HEIGHT WILL BE AROUND 65 INCHES, IN OTHER WORDS THE MODEL WILL LOOK LIKE AN 4X4 OFF ROAD CAR! SO I USED A TECHNICAL DATA SHEET FROM THE REAL CAR TO ADJUST IT WITH A 1/25 SCALE RULER .SEE THE PICTURE

SANY0039-1.jpg

IN THIS PICTURE I SHOW THE MODIFICATION TO THE CHASSIS ,IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION I LOWERED THE FRONT SUSPENSION BUMPS WITH A SANDING STICK ,I LOWERED ABOUT 2MM ON FRONT AND 1MM AT REAR IN THE CENTER WISHBONE.SEE PICTURE

SANY0040.jpg

SANY0041-1.jpg

SANY0052-3.jpg

SANY0036-1.jpg

HERE I LOWERED THE REAR AXLE COIL SPRINGS 1MM TO MATCH WITH THE REAR WISHBONE .SEE PICTURE.

SANY0050-3.jpg

SANY0049-2.jpg

WELL WHEN I WAS DO AL L THAT WORK I TESTED THE FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION AND PUT THE MODEL INTO THE TABLE AND I CHECK THE CAR. LOOKS VERY MUCH BETTER NOW WITH THE WRIGHT HEIGHT ,I HOPE YOU ENJOY ,NEXT TIME I WILL POST THE TIRES THAT I USED WITH THE WHEELS AND HOW I ADJUSTED THE WHEEL BASE AND PHOTO ETCHED BRAKE DISKS FROM KA MODELS !

SANY0048-2.jpg

SANY0044-3.jpg

Edited by Ferrari Fan

You know,I never thought of using overall height to judge stance. So by your measurements this kit is a FOOT! too high out of the box. :blink: No wonder it doesn't look right.<_< Thanks for the tip as I have one of these in the stash.

One thing that confuses me is how Revell can manage to have better wheels in their snap kits than in their glue kits. :huh: The wheels in the snap 57 Chevy are really nice ones as well as the large diameter Torqthrusts in the 63 Stingray kits. Go figure.

One thing that confuses me is how Revell can manage to have better wheels in their snap kits than in their glue kits. <_< The wheels in the snap 57 Chevy are really nice ones as well as the large diameter Torqthrusts in the 63 Stingray kits. Go figure.

I think the wheels are from the Shelby kit he's building here, but the tires are from the snap. All the Revell variants of the 05 and newer Mustangs and Shelbys (GT, GT-H, Bullitt, GT500, GT500KR) have tires that have sidewalls that are too tall.

You know,I never thought of using overall height to judge stance. So by your measurements this kit is a FOOT! too high out of the box. :blink: No wonder it doesn't look right.:) Thanks for the tip as I have one of these in the stash.

One thing that confuses me is how Revell can manage to have better wheels in their snap kits than in their glue kits. :huh: The wheels in the snap 57 Chevy are really nice ones as well as the large diameter Torqthrusts in the 63 Stingray kits. Go figure.

THANKS OLDSCHOOL YOU ARE WRIGHT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY REVELL USES BETTER WHEEL AND TIRE SETS ON SNAP KITS MAY BE IS TO IMPRESS THE NEW FIRST CUSTOMER !!! :blink:

I think the wheels are from the Shelby kit he's building here, but the tires are from the snap. All the Revell variants of the 05 and newer Mustangs and Shelbys (GT, GT-H, Bullitt, GT500, GT500KR) have tires that have sidewalls that are too tall.

YES THE TIRES ARE FROM A SNAP KIT ,I WILL EXPLAIN SOMETHING ABOUT THE WHEELS TOMORROW ,THANKS ERIC!!

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all of the Revell snap kits with the large-diameter custom wheels use the same tires.

Some other excellent tire donors for the KR are the Maisto Pontiac Solstice (as per Bob Downie), the Revell Viper SRT10 and the Revell C6 Corvette.

HI., THE SNAP KITS FROM REVELL USE DIFFERENT BRANDS AND THREAD PATTERN ,I HAVE ALL THE SNAP KITS THAT COMES WITH LARGE DIAMETER TIRES AND ARE NOT THE SAME., FOR EXAMPLE THE 57 CHEVY SNAP COMES WITH DIRECTIONAL THREAD PATTERN AND DOESN'T HAVE ANY SIDEWALL NAME BRAND. THE TIRES THAT I USED FRONM THE 70 CHEVELLE COMES WITH MICHELIN NAME BRAND ON THE SIDEWALL AND THE THREAD PATTERN IS DIFERENT . THE DIAMETERS ARE LARGE BUT NOT DOESNT HAVE THE SAME TIRE SIZE . :P

Will you explain how you calculated the height in scale by using what procedure. Thanks

Brian46

Hi Brian i use the scale rulers as you can see in the picture ,first i temporary assemble the model with white glue including all the suspension components such as wheels,axle,front suspension

SANY0103-1.jpg

SANY0104-2.jpg

SANY0105-1.jpg

secondly i check the scale of the model to get the correct ruler to use with. 1/24 or 1/25 then i check all the dimensions of the model to compare it with the real ones

once you get all the dimensions., you proceed to adjust how much the model has in excess

for example ,if the model have 48 inches of height and the correct height is 45inches you need to low the suspension three inches in scale by the scale ruler that you are using.you need to inspect the model coil springs or bases to see if there you can cut or sand to eliminate the excess.

try to use the millimeter rule,is more easy to use because 1mm in scale is 1 inch of a regular ruler

one of the most important things when you start a new model is to get reference of the real car to see the differences and dimensions to adjust the model mostly in height and track width ,the track width is how much the tires comes out of the edges of the body panels ,tomorrow i will post how to adjust the track width

i hope this explanation will be helpful for you., thanks !!!

Hi Brian i use the scale rulers as you can see in the picture ,first i temporary assemble the model with white glue including all the suspension components such as wheels,axle,front suspension

SANY0103-1.jpg

SANY0104-2.jpg

SANY0105-1.jpg

secondly i check the scale of the model to get the correct ruler to use with. 1/24 or 1/25 then i check all the dimensions of the model to compare it with the real ones

once you get all the dimensions., you proceed to adjust how much the model has in excess

for example ,if the model have 48 inches of height and the correct height is 45inches you need to low the suspension three inches in scale by the scale ruler that you are using.you need to inspect the model coil springs or bases to see if there you can cut or sand to eliminate the excess.

try to use the millimeter rule,is more easy to use because 1mm in scale is 1 inch of a regular ruler

one of the most important things when you start a new model is to get reference of the real car to see the differences and dimensions to adjust the model mostly in height and track width ,the track width is how much the tires comes out of the edges of the body panels ,tomorrow i will post how to adjust the track width

i hope this explanation will be helpful for you., thanks !!!

Thanks for the information. Very helpful and informative. Brian46