Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mysterion

Landspeed1

G,day , you've done a great job of a very difficult kit.The only other one i ever saw built was in another model mag many years ago ,who knows maybe one day someone will find the real car ?

I agree, and you've done a great job breaking in the rear slicks.

The Mysterion is gone forever. In on of the Ed Roth books the last owner mentioned he cut the frame up since it had cracked due to hydrogen embrittlement after chroming. :D At least the Orbitron was found in Mexico and is now restored. :)

yes thats the book cited in the road agent thread, the frame was just weak period never mind deterioration over time, and the two chromed (!) motors were way too much for the minimal frame structure. the subsequent owner, who as i mentioned traded both the beatnik bandit and the outlaw back for it (he previously had bought those two cars from roth), took out the engine internals to reduce the weight, but it wasnt enough and they were constantly repairing the frame until one day it just kind of gave out for good. i think he parted out the car. i forget his name and it would be easy enough to go look it up (but, alas...) but the guy was a mid-west car show promoter.

yes thats the book cited in the road agent thread, the frame was just weak period never mind deterioration over time, and the two chromed (!) motors were way too much for the minimal frame structure. the subsequent owner, who as i mentioned traded both the beatnik bandit and the outlaw back for it (he previously had bought those two cars from roth), took out the engine internals to reduce the weight, but it wasnt enough and they were constantly repairing the frame until one day it just kind of gave out for good. i think he parted out the car. i forget his name and it would be easy enough to go look it up (but, alas...) but the guy was a mid-west car show promoter.

I think it was Bob Larivee, & he also stated that when they tore the engines down, they were actually 390's, not the 406's as was stated by the "orignal" owner. The car may be gone in it's first incarnation, but there is a clone of it that has been built. I agree with what every one has said, you did a great job, & just FYI, the bubble is made from yellow transparent Acrylic, & that area that is raised on it is a black "border". Keep up the great work! Edited by horsepower

I think it was Bob Larivee, & he also stated that when they tore the engines down, they were actually 390's, not the 406's as was stated by the "orignal" owner. The car may be gone in it's first incarnation, but there is a clone of it that has been built. I agree with what every one has said, you did a great job, & just FYI, the bubble is made from yellow transparent Acrylic, & that area that is raised on it is a black "border". Keep up the great work!

I have seen photos on the web where the bubble is blue/green and clear inside the black rubber part. Maybe you are thinking of the Beatnik Bandit II that had a yellow bubble or the Road Agent that had a yellowish/orange bubble.